Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows/Doors won't open in cold weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys. Anyone else experience this.

In freezing weather I couldn't open my doors. After playing around I realized its because the windows (which normally open slightly when you pull the handle) were not dropping down. This in turn caused the windows to get stuck on the chrome lip. I am assuming that either the cold or possibly ice froze up some of the window mechanics in the door itself. I tried preheating the car and it helped on one door, but the others were still stuck. Not a huge deal as the weather eventually warmed up and I usually drive solo, but was a bit annoying.

I had this happen once or twice when it rained and my car was parked outside, the windows would freeze, and I'd have to either pull a little harder (the chrome is weak, so the window will go under it with a little force) or chisel my way out.

There was another thread, someone said they had it on another frameless window car too.

Having the same issues with my MS. Note, I also had this problem my BMW 330Ci (Convertible), so this really isn't unique to Tesla.

I do question the "quality" of the material Tesla is using for the glass sweep. Now, with this said, the recommendation of using a CreditCard to break things free is great advice. DO NOT hit the top edge of the glass with anything; you will not like the results :-(

Ya, this happened to me too.
I was thinking about it as I went to open a door though. I thought I'd read that someone opened a door forcing the window under the trim, then when the door was closed the window smashed. I don't know if this is true but I won't take any chances.
I popped the driver's door open and didn't close it until the window control worked; then worked the rest of the windows.
I'll have to try the credit card trick next time, good idea!

I keep a proper ice scraper in the bonnet or boot .. (I just like saying those words sometimes) .. which can be opened more easily when car is frozen.

After all these years of driving an EV and still having to deal with ICE issues. Just can't escape it!

I too have been keeping a small thin plastic scraper in the frunk or truck. I use this anytime I think that the windows are frozen to the weather stripping. Do all four windows before even attempting to open doors. I owned a Land Rover Evoque and had the same issues.