Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows Down? or Air Conditioner? Whats more efficient?

Which is more efficent? Windows down or Air Conditioner ( windows up ).

• Windows Down

• Air Conditioner

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Non-theoretical real world data you say? Mythbusters did a segment on this in 2014, but with SUVs with (probably) less energy-efficient AC compressors than Tesla's.

Normally I like the Mythbusters, but they didn't even swap vehicles and try it again. That could be a bad AC unit, different tires, different driving style, they should try different speeds, etc. However, either way, I'd rather be comfortable and have shorter range.

This video isn't perfectly scientific, but it shows that once you get to highway speeds, you'll probably want windows up.

Last edited:
Comparison to an ICE car is meaningless.

The aerodynamics on an EV consume a much larger percentage of the overall energy on an electric car at higher speeds. Aerodynamics is 40% of the losses on and EV versus 15% on and ICE car. So rolling down the windows at high speed will have a much larger impact.

I wrote this article on the impact of the aero wheel covers.

Tesla Model 3 Aero Wheel Covers: EV vs. ICE Comparison

Air conditioning would likely consume approx 1 KW per hour. This would add at most 15 watts per mile at 65 miles an hour.

The aero loss at speed with window down would be much larger.

Under 30-40 mph the aerodynamics is insignificant. Here the windows down is more efficient.

Reactions: paulchou and Yonki
Comparison to an ICE car is meaningless.

The aerodynamics on an EV consume a much larger percentage of the overall energy on an electric car at higher speeds. Aerodynamics is 40% of the losses on and EV versus 15% on and ICE car. So rolling down the windows at high speed will have a much larger impact.

I wrote this article on the impact of the aero wheel covers.

Tesla Model 3 Aero Wheel Covers: EV vs. ICE Comparison

Air conditioning would likely consume approx 1 KW per hour. This would add at most 15 watts per mile at 65 miles an hour.

The aero loss at speed with window down would be much larger.

Under 30-40 mph the aerodynamics is insignificant. Here the windows down is more efficient.
Great info....but some real live comparisons would speak well.

There are some owners out there that are licking their chops to provide data and shine in the forum. I'm just asking them to exercise a simple experiment.

To often with Tesla's - real world experience is far different from paperwork figures.

AC compressor's effect on consumption in my MS is completely negligible, even with temperatures well north of 100F. In fact, that's often when I see my best efficiency.

It's 2018. There's zero reason to be "that guy" driving around with the windows open on account of "fuel economy" or worrying that your car is going to overheat by the time you get to the top of the hill.

I have found a video from a Model 3 owner doing exactly that experience!

Like you will hear it's an owner from Québec, so french video. You can check at the end of the video for a table of the results.

To resume, below 55 mph open your windows, above it use your AC.
EXCELLENT!!!!!!! Thanks.

So it appears that the faster you travel.....the more even the power requirements are. Very …. Very …. interesting.

AC compressor's effect on consumption in my MS is completely negligible, even with temperatures well north of 100F. In fact, that's often when I see my best efficiency.

It's 2018. There's zero reason to be "that guy" driving around with the windows open on account of "fuel economy" or worrying that your car is going to overheat by the time you get to the top of the hill.

zero reason?

Have you thought of them all?

Let me think..... how many reasons are there that one would want the window down over AC?