Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows lower down when open the door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I'm new to Tesla car and I did reservation for the 3, but it's Late 2018 my delivery.

Where I live, I have cold winter, -10 degree or more sometime.
I saw an video that Model S, the windows will lower down before you can open the door, but it's too cold outside and the door didn't open:

Will it be the same for Model 3, that the windows will lower down before open the door? Is it on all door?

thanks!

Hi,
I'm new to Tesla car and I did reservation for the 3, but it's Late 2018 my delivery.

I saw an video that Model S, the windows will lower down before you can open the door, but it's too cold outside and the door didn't open:

Will it be the same for Model 3, that the windows will lower down before open the door? Is it on all door?

thanks!
Yep, every window in the model 3 is frameless

I saw the latest video with the two gents with the front and passenger windows lower when the door was being opened.

So these windows lower to clear the frame of the car?
No, they lower to move down out of the upper rubber seal. The windows thus seal vertically as well as horizontally against rubber seals.

My 2005 Mini had a similar frameless window system. Worked well with good seal and no problems.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
Yep but doesn't matter if you're plugged in.

Well, it does matter, because it does cost money to run the heat so long, and it can consume more time than a person wants to spend before he can use his car.
My car is parked outside, and I have had a few instances of difficulty with ice on the windows. My personal opinion is that the frameless windows are one of the worst design features of the Tesla. I can't see their value, in the first place. They require the window lift mechanism to lower and raise the window every time the door is opened, putting much extra wear on an expensive mechanism. Frameless windows don't seal as well and are more prone to rattles. And they are prone to problems in the winter.
Woe betide the person who does not thoroughly scrape or melt the ice off his frameless window, and then forces the door open. Once it is open, the door cannot be closed if the window won't retract because of ice. (I know, I have done it.) So one must be patient and either wait for the heater to melt the ice (slow), or scrape thoroughly.
I love my car, but this is indeed one of those design details that those us who live elsewhere blame on the "California thinking" inherent in certain aspects of the Tesla. I had hoped that the Model 3 would get away from this rather impractical design, and am disappointed that it does not. This is my first car with frameless windows, and it did not take very long for me to develop a dislike for them.
By the way, by coincidence I had a test drive in a BMW i3 at an EV event last week, and noticed the i3 also has frameless windows. The way I noticed it was wind noise. Despite BMW's reputation for fit and finish, there was noticeable wind noise from the driver's window at highway speed. (There was much less road noise than in my Model S, though, which made the wind noise more noticeable.)

Well, it does matter, because it does cost money to run the heat so long, and it can consume more time than a person wants to spend before he can use his car.
My car is parked outside, and I have had a few instances of difficulty with ice on the windows. My personal opinion is that the frameless windows are one of the worst design features of the Tesla. I can't see their value, in the first place. They require the window lift mechanism to lower and raise the window every time the door is opened, putting much extra wear on an expensive mechanism. Frameless windows don't seal as well and are more prone to rattles. And they are prone to problems in the winter.
Woe betide the person who does not thoroughly scrape or melt the ice off his frameless window, and then forces the door open. Once it is open, the door cannot be closed if the window won't retract because of ice. (I know, I have done it.) So one must be patient and either wait for the heater to melt the ice (slow), or scrape thoroughly.
I love my car, but this is indeed one of those design details that those us who live elsewhere blame on the "California thinking" inherent in certain aspects of the Tesla. I had hoped that the Model 3 would get away from this rather impractical design, and am disappointed that it does not. This is my first car with frameless windows, and it did not take very long for me to develop a dislike for them.
By the way, by coincidence I had a test drive in a BMW i3 at an EV event last week, and noticed the i3 also has frameless windows. The way I noticed it was wind noise. Despite BMW's reputation for fit and finish, there was noticeable wind noise from the driver's window at highway speed. (There was much less road noise than in my Model S, though, which made the wind noise more noticeable.)
It's more of a theoretical problem than an actual problem. I preheat maybe just 50% of the time, but it's not because I care about the windows. It's because I don't like to freeze and that's worth a few kWh electricity for me.

The times I don't preheat the doors still open fine. I one time pressure-washed my S outside in minus 15 Celsius. Then drive it straight home, parked and drove it to work day after with no preheat. Everything was kind of frozen, but the handles pushed out through the ice, the window cracked its way down and the doors opened just fine.

Had more trouble with other cars. Like my VW Caddy where the door won't even close all the time at winter. Fun driving the first 15 minutes while holding the door with heat at max.

The times I don't preheat the doors still open fine. I one time pressure-washed my S outside in minus 15 Celsius. Then drive it straight home, parked and drove it to work day after with no preheat. Everything was kind of frozen, but the handles pushed out through the ice, the window cracked its way down and the doors opened just fine.

I'd say you have been lucky!
And I do agree that it is worth some money to be comfortable, and even more to be able to reduce the effort to de-ice the car so it can be driven.

Yes on model 3 they auto roll down when you open and close doors

Hi,

thanks!