TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Windows Mystery

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Puyallup Bill, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

Picked up my Model S yesterday, 2/17, at the soon-to-be Service Center in Bellevue WA. Charged at 240 volts, 30 Amps for a couple of hours, and at dusk changed to 120 volts for the night. Car outside. Used the iPad app to view charging - did not toot the horn, flash lights, or use any other function.

This morning, all four windows were fully open and the car was locked. I am certain they were closed last evening. Anyone else observe the same eerie happening? Ideas?

2. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Is it possible that you had your fob in your pocket and unintentionally pressed the roof / squeezed it long enough for the windows to all roll down?
    Then somehow locked it with same fob?
    I'm having my own oddity :)
    Congrats on your delivery, BTW.

3. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

#3 Puyallup Bill, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
    Thanks for the post. Doesn't appear to be fob related, as I don't have the pano roof and fooling around with the fob buttons, couldn't duplicate the occurrence. In the garage tonight - we'll see if it happens again. Sure glad it didn't rain last night as it was in the driveway.

EDIT. I had fooled with combinations of the fob buttons to no avail. Zythryn in a LEAF forum Model S thread reported that pressing and holding the top or middle button will open all the widows. Right he is. And re-reading sp4rk's post, he also suggest holding a button. Thanks to all - mystery solved.

4. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

If you hold the "roof" of the fob for a few seconds: all the windows roll down, which would account for what happened to you. Seen a few other people post this happening.

5. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

This happened to me once where I used fob accidentally to open all windows. The windows opened so quietly, you cannot hear it.

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I noticed something odd today. It is still cold/snowy here, so I'm running with all windows up. I lowered the driver's window to access my company's parking gate control, then rolled it back up and parked. When I got out, I found the rear passenger window wide open. I'm sure I would have noticed it down when I was driving, so I am wondering if it went down when I opened the driver's window. I tried raising and lowering the driver's window a few more times and could not repeat the behavior. Weird.

7. artsci

artsci Sponsor

This happened to my Volt in an overnight pouring rain. I ended up with the interior of the car soaked.

As first I thought it might have been a spurious command from OnStar through my phone app. But I finally determined that it was accidental pressure on the key fob, which does have a command for all windows fully down.

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Are you certain you didn't absent-mindedly hit the wrong button then correct yourself? I used to do that all the time in my G37. The windows will roll all the way down with a single press.

9. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

Also, if you don't keep your left foot on the dead pedal it's very easy to accidentally roll down the rear (and sometimes front) passenger windows with your left knee... You said you were reaching out of the window, so it is very, very likely the cause.. I was taking some hard right-hand turns the day I got the car and my wife asked why I rolled down the windows. And then I remembered reading about this "problem" on the forums many months ago and it all made sense.

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

It's entirely possible, and I'll keep an eye out for this. I certainly don't think I did, but I see what you mean. The switches are kind of angled to where one's knee might hit them.

11. digitaltim

digitaltim Sig737 VIN628

I have definitely hit it with my left knee. It happened once or twice while driving. I then did it once when leaving my car at the Secaucus Junction rail stop - came back to an open car window and it had just started to rain. Luckily, the car survived, but I pay a whole lot more attention now.