Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows on Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The glass roof has been factory treated for UV and IR (heat) rejection. The rear passenger windows are tinted dark. Most who add tint to their model Y have a quality tint film with UV and IR rejection applied to the windshield (it's huge) and the front door windows according to their preference and the regulations regarding tinting in their state.

Tinting the glass roof is possible but it may be hard to source the desired tint film in a size large enough to use a single sheet without having to use multiple pieces of tint film so there is no line. Most don't add tint the glass roof because it does not need additional treatment. If the mid day sun is a bother you can add a sun shade for the glass roof from Tesmanian, also see Amazon, for a lot less than adding tint. Some have tinted the rear hatch glass but it is already tinted also probably does not need additional tint; Tesla sells a sunshade for the rear hatch glass area (probably because Tesla offers 7 passenger seating in the Model Y and the rear sun shade will provide improved comfort for the two passengers that are seated in the third row.)

Adding additional tint beyond the windshield, front side windows, if you live In Vancouver, might be worth it. In the southwest US and gulf States; definitely worth considering.

Last edited:
Getting the Xpel Prime xr+ on the ceiling tomorrow. $200. Requires 2, sometimes 3 people to hold the film up while it's being squeegeed to the surface.

Hoping to block some of the TX heat. Might also use an Evannex sunshield. (Yesterday, 92f ambient, I could NOT touch the roof glass.)

Getting the Xpel Prime xr+ on the ceiling tomorrow. $200. Requires 2, sometimes 3 people to hold the film up while it's being squeegeed to the surface.

Hoping to block some of the TX heat. Might also use an Evannex sunshield. (Yesterday, 92f ambient, I could NOT touch the roof glass.)
Oops. Just noted my typo. It was $250.

I'd still like to see some % numbers from Tesla re: OEM UV/IR protection for the rear side, hatch, and roof glass.

Reactions: herkitothehawk
I was quoted $500 to do the roof here in Florida. I decided to pass at that price. At $250, I would be in. I may be in Ft. Worth soon so if you don't mind sharing where you go it done, I might do it there.

does the windows windshield, roof, windows, rear windows on Model Y comes with UV/Heat protection? i've noticed the back windows are tinted but not sure if there are any UV heat reject functions.

thanks.
Roof already has 95% reduction in UV and heat, so people tinting the roof are just reducing the remaining 5%. Complete waste of money. Same for back Windows and rear glass.
You can test this easily by touching interier surface of the car when parked under the sun. Touch areas that get sun light through different glass parts you will immediately notice where tint is needed.
I did this test and the only glass that needs tinting is front windows and the windshield. These do have uv reduction but allow some heat.
I would not let a dude in a tint shop touch my windshield with so many sensitive electronics on and near it.
So I only tinted my front windows.
Tinting the rest of the car is waste of money, you are only blocking 5% radiation not worth it.

Sigh...a newbie from CA (San Josr??? or San Jose?) giving advice about roof tinting... ;)

Baybay408: Come to TX, mid summer, when the sun is directly overhead (hmm...you're testing your car in October!!!), park your car in the sun, wait 30 minutes, and then see what degree burn you get when you touch the glass. It is scorching hot after a 30 minutes getting heat soaked.

I agree that tinting doesn't really help (with the heat soaking). What does help is the unattractive HeatShield. Not pretty, but it keeps the top of my head from cooking.

Roof already has 95% reduction in UV and heat, so people tinting the roof are just reducing the remaining 5%. Complete waste of money. Same for back Windows and rear glass.
You can test this easily by touching interier surface of the car when parked under the sun. Touch areas that get sun light through different glass parts you will immediately notice where tint is needed.
I did this test and the only glass that needs tinting is front windows and the windshield. These do have uv reduction but allow some heat.
I would not let a dude in a tint shop touch my windshield with so many sensitive electronics on and near it.
So I only tinted my front windows.
Tinting the rest of the car is waste of money, you are only blocking 5% radiation not worth it.
DEFINATELY NOT 95% with heat, UVrays probably, not heat. I have went through several cars trying different tints and different combinations. Windshield is a must on big windshield cars, as is any glass that heat will shine on you(roof, front and back windows). Rear window you could MAYBE get away without.

Sigh...a newbie from CA (San Josr??? or San Jose?) giving advice about roof tinting... ;)

Baybay408: Come to TX, mid summer, when the sun is directly overhead (hmm...you're testing your car in October!!!), park your car in the sun, wait 30 minutes, and then see what degree burn you get when you touch the glass. It is scorching hot after a 30 minutes getting heat soaked.

I agree that tinting doesn't really help (with the heat soaking). What does help is the unattractive HeatShield. Not pretty, but it keeps the top of my head from cooking.
OK, I concede that 5% of Texas heat is still pretty bad :)
Note that tint does not reflect the heat, it absorbs it.

The glass roof has been factory treated for UV and IR (heat) rejection. The rear passenger windows are tinted dark. Most who add tint to their model Y have a quality tint film with UV and IR rejection applied to the windshield (it's huge) and the front door windows according to their preference and the regulations regarding tinting in their state.

Tinting the glass roof is possible but it may be hard to source the desired tint film in a size large enough to use a single sheet without having to use multiple pieces of tint film so there is no line. Most don't add tint the glass roof because it does not need additional treatment. If the mid day sun is a bother you can add a sun shade for the glass roof from Tesmanian, also see Amazon, for a lot less than adding tint. Some have tinted the rear hatch glass but it is already tinted also probably does not need additional tint; Tesla sells a sunshade for the rear hatch glass area (probably because Tesla offers 7 passenger seating in the Model Y and the rear sun shade will provide improved comfort for the two passengers that are seated in the third row.)

Adding additional tint beyond the windshield, front side windows, if you live In Vancouver, might be worth it. In the southwest US and gulf States; definitely worth considering.
I have never used film on a windshield. Is this more UV protection or does the layer help with wind noise? Thanks!