Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows on Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never used film on a windshield. Is this more UV protection or does the layer help with wind noise? Thanks!
Since tint is applied from the inside, it is for uv and heat.
I do not recommend windshield tinting unless you can't bear the heat while driving. Use a shade when parked. Windshield and its surroundings have many electronics that can get damaged during installation.

Since tint is applied from the inside, it is for uv and heat.
I do not recommend windshield tinting unless you can't bear the heat while driving. Use a shade when parked. Windshield and its surroundings have many electronics that can get damaged during installation.
Not too hot in Seattle so sounds like a pass if it does not decrease road/wind noise.

I have never used film on a windshield. Is this more UV protection or does the layer help with wind noise? Thanks!
The tint film on the windshield is for additional UV protection and IR protection. The glass room comes with a 5% tint (filters 95% of the visible light and also filters UV and IR. A qualified tint installer will know how to protect the dash board from any of the slip solution liquid dripping into the dashboard during installation of the tint film. Assuming that the tint film is high quality and it is correctly installed with no bubbles the only down side is that the better ceramic tint films are so effective at rejecting IR that it becomes difficult to defrost,melt ice and snow on the windshield in cold weather.

Perhaps someone who has tinted their windshield, later regretted their decision can provide more info.
Regret is not necessary. It would be great to hear from anyone who has tinted their windshield and can comment on any impact they may have noticed on defroster performance. Especially if it was a ceramic tint such as Llumar Air 80.

Thanks!

How serious is the impact on defrosting? Was going to install Llumar Air 80 but wouldn’t want to lose ability to defrost.
Tinted mine with rayno tint
no issues with defrosting
keeps the car much cooler
one issue is when I wear polarized sunglasses the world becomes mario carts rainbow road
other than that you can't tell its on
no distortion unless you look right up to it and look up and the right angle and light

• Informative
Reactions: rjpjnk