Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows opened themselves in rain storm - what to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All:

I just picked up my model y. Went to dinner, went home, and crashed. Here in CA we are having a huge weeklong rainstorm (only one of the year, my luck). In AM I noticed some kind of alert, maybe it said "11:59 PM multiple windows open". So, I run to car and all windows are open and car is completely flooded- every carpet, every control, every speaker, completely flooded.

**What the heck caused the windows to open by themselves in middle of night?

I have no garage and no carport and I can't even think of a covered garage in my area, so there is nothing I can do like go over it with a hair dryer, it's pouring, I'd just electrocute myself.

I wiped down the car as best as I could , tried to soak up the carpet moisture. I left the car on "Climate>Keep on" at 78F.

Service said there's nothing to be done until monday (I think he forgot that was a holiday) and they made me an appointment for tuesday. I said I wish they'd put the car in a covered garage with heat lamps; they said there was no way they could do that.

***Any suggestions as to how better to dry out car would be appreciated.

This is so awful it's really funny. [why smile emoji followed by curses emojis].

I wish everyone a happy and dry new year (you know, the dry roof over you and your car type, not the dry champagne flutes kind).

-TPC

We have several issues with our 2023 MY. One of them was the windows will roll down about 2 to 3 inches on their own after the car was parked on several occassions. The Tesla service center in Buena Park recalibrated the windows yesterday. Not sure if the issue will persists though but luckily it wasn't raining when they happened. So your car is not the only one that has this issue. This is an issue that Tesla should address.

Happened again just now. We are presently having lunch here at the Brea Mall and received a notification that rear passenger side window is not completely closed. So I have to go back to the parking structure even though we haven’t even open the windows since its been raining.

We ran the NYE light show and it left the windows open when it was done. After the party, went outside and found the rear driver’s side window slightly cracked open. I thought I closed it all the way but maybe I didn’t. I’ll continue to monitor but I don’t think it’s a problem.

On another occasion, when we first took delivery, I was playing around with the settings in the Tesla app and turned on the Cabin Overheat Protection (COP) feature. The next morning the car was preconditioning (as scheduled) and all the windows were down. I thought it was weird but then I remembered that I had activated the COP and that probably triggered it. Haven’t had a problem since then, so not 100% sure if that was the reason or not.

Last edited:
I've had several occasions when I come out to discover my new parked Y has one or more open windows. Thought at first I had possibly touched the window lever as I was exiting the car, but now I am certain it has been happening on its own. If anyone has had this problem and found a fix (I tried rebooting already), other than calling service I would love to hear it.

I've had several occasions when I come out to discover my new parked Y has one or more open windows. Thought at first I had possibly touched the window lever as I was exiting the car, but now I am certain it has been happening on its own. If anyone has had this problem and found a fix (I tried rebooting already), other than calling service I would love to hear it.
I took delivery last month. And have had a number of occasions where I found the windows open when I parked the car and was moving away. I will check the 'cabin overheat protection' setting. Please repost if someone sends you a solution. Thanks.

Brand new model Y. Rear passenger window has opened as I closed the driver's door. Went down about an inch or so. Very odd. No overheat, and no heater or precondition. I was just set to have it lock it up when it happened. Like the car is haunted or something.

I have a 6 week old Model Y and it opened its windows when we had rain during the night! So now have soaking inside and am totally unable to close the windows. They go to close position and then after 2 seconds open again!! I do not have overheat protection on (this is England!).
I guess that maybe it has water in the doors having opened themselves! How does one strop it as more rain is happening!!

Update:

So I had set up a service appointment, and in chat, I had asked that they fully investigate the windows opening thing, determine how it happened and how to prevent it, and asked them to inspect the car for any damage and fix it.

They took my car in on that busy day, and gave me credit for Uber. Soon it said that I would have to leave it for TWO DAYS, which is a little shocking, but was OK for me. So after a couple days they called me and said, "although you left the windows open, we will not charge you to replace the seat, required due to failure of a passenger restraint system sensor. We'll make you an appointment for a few weeks from now when the sensor comes in.

So I replied, "Unacceptable. There is no way I could have left the windows open. Not possible. This is the first time I left an automated car alone, and when I left it I very deliberately walked backwards away from the car so I could watch what the car does (I saw it flash and chirp) to make sure it was locked. I then put my phone on the side table, checked that it was still locked up after all a little while, then went to bed. "

Tesla: "The tech did extensive research and found that you left the windows open and did the (light show? fun show? Whatever). But don't worry, we're not charging you. "

Me: "No, that's definitely not correct, I did try the light show, then I spent some more time in the car, but then left with windows closed. So, I need to know WHAT HAPPENED. 1. What time did the windows go down? 2. What was the action that made them go down? "

Tesla: "Well the tech did a full investigation, so.. um... well, it's not really here, so um.. uh.. blah blah.. um firmware update... um"

Me: "Are you saying LACK of a firmware update caused this? "

Tesla: No no, you left the windows open...

Me: Look, if you can tell me what the logs said, we can figure out what happened...

So, he could not coherently explain what happened, said the tech had gone home, and basically, stop bothering him, the repairs would be free.

I'm a little disappointed that they couldn't really tell me what happened or how to prevent it next time. I thought I saw the notification of windows open at 11:59 PM, which is really suspicious - I still suspect there is some kind of software issue that the light show can pop up after some process clears other processes every night at 11:59 PM. However, I still want to know if it isn't something else, some other "game" software, a climate setting, a weirdness with the phone app or what.

Another poster said I should use a de-humidifier. That's a great suggestion, but the car really was bone-dry after 12 hours at 78 deg of "Keep climate", though I certainly helped that along with towels. I think maybe the defroster operates by sensing humidity, so it turned that on and that helped a lot. If there is anything else that goes on, I'll update.

-TPC

Hello All:

I just picked up my model y. Went to dinner, went home, and crashed. Here in CA we are having a huge weeklong rainstorm (only one of the year, my luck). In AM I noticed some kind of alert, maybe it said "11:59 PM multiple windows open". So, I run to car and all windows are open and car is completely flooded- every carpet, every control, every speaker, completely flooded.

I have no garage and no carport and I can't even think of a covered garage in my area, so there is nothing I can do like go over it with a hair dryer, it's pouring, I'd just electrocute myself.

I wiped down the car as best as I could , tried to soak up the carpet moisture. I left the car on "Climate>Keep on" at 78F.

Service said there's nothing to be done until monday (I think he forgot that was a holiday) and they made me an appointment for tuesday. I said I wish they'd put the car in a covered garage with heat lamps; they said there was no way they could do that.

This is so awful it's really funny. [why smile emoji followed by curses emojis].

I wish everyone a happy and dry new year (you know, the dry roof over you and your car type, not the dry champagne flutes kind).

-TPC

Update:

Last year's light show damaged some cars, as I remember. Not windows, but reports of headlights and tail lights failing to work properly following several uses of the 2021 light show. I will completely stay away from something like that. Tesla should fix your car properly and not blame their customers for damage from defective systems. I suppose there could be a short in an electrical system in a door, but again, that wouldn't be your or anyone's fault. As this thread demonstrates, there is something amiss with the window engineering.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Hello All:

-TPC
I had this happen when I first got mine (12/6/22). If you get in the car and press and hold each window button till each window goes up, let go and press and hold for 15 seconds it will calibrate the window. I had to do this twice to all the windows and its fine.

For the carpet take a shampooer and use the hand tool on suction to suck the water out of the carpets with the climate control on the floor.

Two weeks ago, my daughter returned to our parked, 5-week old MY and found the rear window open. She thought maybe her dog, who was in the car, pressed the window button. The car was in dog mode. But the window buttons should (I think) be disabled when the car is parked and in dog mode.

Also, three times in the past week, we've received notifications that our parked car was unlocked. On at least two of those occasions I had parked and could hear the horn beep as I walked away; so the car SHOULD have been locked.

This just happened to me - one of my rear windows randomly opened last night while it was raining and water got into the car. Im running defrost to try it out and have soaked up as much water as possible right now.

Did anyone have permanent water damage to the interior or mold from this? Concerned since my kid is usually in the back.

Also, what did Tesla do to fix it? Were they willing to inspect the interior and replace anything? Definitely adding to the dissatisfaction on top of the recent sudden price drop (I bought in mid dec)

Tip for other Tesla owners: I bought rubber floor mats. I think That helped protect the carpeting from significant damage.