Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows roll down by themselves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi my first post here. I bought a 2020 model 3 dual motor, absolutely love it. BUT all 4 windows seem to roll down when it rains. We had a 2 inch downpour that resulted in the passenger seat and floor getting soaked. The next day when I discovered it the seat belt restraint was compromised. I called Tesla and was advised to stop at the Louisville repair facility to have it checked out. We were in the area so we stopped in. It was Friday and they scheduled a appointment for the following Tuesday 9:30 am, pretty good service!!! The seat was replaced, and they did some updates. They thought it would fix the issue. Well they still have a mind of their own. I have a service appointment on May 29th I hope it will be fixed then. I have a real concern about this, think it is locked with the windows up. What if it happened at the mall and I got mugged when I got into the car? Or things were stolen from the car? I will post what they find.

Attachments

• IMG_0848.jpeg
    IMG_0848.jpeg
    890.7 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0847.jpeg
    IMG_0847.jpeg
    610.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0827.jpeg
    IMG_0827.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0828.jpeg
    IMG_0828.jpeg
    929.1 KB · Views: 71
There is a setting to automatically vent the windows when the cabin gets too warm. Have you checked your app settings? Did the service center check for a fault with that system?
There’s no such setting. Cabin Overheat Protection turns on the AC if the cabin gets too hot, it doesn’t open the windows.

There is a safety feature that automatically opens the windows if the car thinks it has submerged in water, so that occupants can escape. Maybe the sensor for that feature needs to be adjusted.

• Informative
Reactions: skygraff
Another issue is that the placement of the window switches makes it easy to accidentally hit them when grabbing the door's interior handle when opening or closing the door from the inside. I often find that one or more of my windows has partially or completely rolled down when I get into the car because I accidentally hit the switch. (Sometimes I notice accidentally hitting the switch, sometimes I don't.) I've gotten into the habit of pulling up on all four window switches when I start to drive. Based on your description of the problem, @EV noGas, this may not be the primary source of your problem, but it might account for some of the instances of it happening, so I thought I'd mention it.

There is a setting in the app to "vent" the car. It will do exactly what you show in the photo.

It is likely you accidentally hit that icon on your phone app.

RTFM!
Please do not blame the user. I've had the same problem, and several other folks posted about the same problem. And my window was open much more than it opens with the vent setting. And it's not a coincidence that the 2 times it happened to me were during big rain storms.

There is a setting in the app to "vent" the car. It will do exactly what you show in the photo.

RTFM!

I’m sorry

RTFM!
It’s not always a user error. I have the same
issue, and no, I did not hit any buttons accidentally. Proof: only one window rolled
down by itself. Venting does all 4