Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows roll down spontaneously?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every now and then I return to my car to find one of the windows down, or partly down. It’s disconcerting. I’ve never noticed this happening while the car is in motion, although it happens seldom enough (maybe 10x in the 3.5 years I’ve had the car) it could just be chance.

Is this a thing, and I just haven’t been able to find the thread? If it’s not software, my other guess is a slightly flaky window control switch.

I’ve had this happen on my Model 3 a half dozen times in the two months that I have owned the car, although it hasn’t happened to me recently. I can’t tell whether or not there is some flaw / bug causing it to happen, or maybe I am accidentally pressing the window down button as I exit the car? For myself, it is always the passenger windows (both front and back windows).

Depending on where I position my leg and what pants I'm wearing, I've accidentally hit the rear passenger window button while driving. I've become wise to that pretty quick, now I notice if it happens. The window motor is pretty quiet and the window being open only becomes noticeable once the car picks up some speed.

Depending on where I position my leg and what pants I'm wearing, I've accidentally hit the rear passenger window button while driving. I've become wise to that pretty quick, now I notice if it happens. The window motor is pretty quiet and the window being open only becomes noticeable once the car picks up some speed.

Same here, typically involves some spirited cornering on my part as well.

Could be the leg problem - this was discussed the first year. People finally figured out that their 'door side' leg would apparently rest on the button(s). Occasionally enough pressure would crack open (not so noticeable) or entirely open a window.

Check it out - may be the problem.

Reactions: jgs
Yeah, I'm going to run with the "leg" theory for now.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to explain how water is entering the car to get the seat belt on that side wet. :-( I have a ranger scheduled out next week to replace a door handle (I used to think people were silly to complain about the handles, oh how wrong I was) and I'll have him poke around then.