Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows Sealing Condensation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I just did my first full car wash today and noticed that there are water condensations on the passenger and driver window. It only happened to one side of the car, which is kind of strange to me. Is this normal? Anyone else has this issue?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436345179.955499.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436345195.626052.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436345220.722837.jpg

Where I get my car washed (and also if I wash it myself) they open the doors and hand dry off the door jams, frames, sills, sill plates and gaskets...
Was that important detail being done in your case?
It appears there is not a leak but rather trapped water between the windows and the wide rubber gaskets?

Did this appear only on the sunny side of the car? I see the sun's reflection in your window

Where I get my car washed (and also if I wash it myself) they open the doors and hand dry off the door jams, frames, sills, sill plates and gaskets...
Was that important detail being done in your case?
It appears there is not a leak but rather trapped water between the windows and the wide rubber gaskets?

Did this appear only on the sunny side of the car? I see the sun's reflection in your window

Yeah, it only happens on the right side of the car directing towards the sun. Never had a car with frameless door before, so I guess this is normal then?

On another note, the next morning when start the car and shift to reverse, the car won't go, so I press the "gas" pedal and hear a loud 'clunk', could this be related to the car wash as well? Is the water to making something 'stick together' under the car?

On another note, the next morning when start the car and shift to reverse, the car won't go, so I press the "gas" pedal and hear a loud 'clunk', could this be related to the car wash as well? Is the water to making something 'stick together' under the car?

Known and widely reported issue. The brake pads and rotors seem to rust together after the car has been parked wet. Takes a bit of power to "snap" them free. In the slushy winter weather, it is a daily occurrence for me.

I would assume this is just the e-brakes and not the main brakes. Has it caused any unusual wear on your rotors?

I find that when I leave a car undriven for some time in the wet months, the rotors get all rusted and while they don't stick, the first few presses of the brake pedal sounds and feels like I am rubbing against a brick. It always makes me cringe. I also see pitting of the rotor. I would expect that rust would eat up the pads too.

Known and widely reported issue. The brake pads and rotors seem to rust together after the car has been parked wet. Takes a bit of power to "snap" them free. In the slushy winter weather, it is a daily occurrence for me.

I would assume this is just the e-brakes and not the main brakes. Has it caused any unusual wear on your rotors?

Nope, it's the main brakes. Sometimes all 4 will be stuck and you can feel them snap loose one at a time. There is a video somewhere of a Model S owner backing out of his garage and one or both of the front wheels actually drag several feet before snapping loose. So far, no issues with the pads or rotors as far as I know.

When I wash my car in the driveway, I can actually see the rotors rusting over before my eyes after I spray down the wheels. The grind for the first couple of stops until the pads scrape the rust off.