Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows stopped working and...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went out to car today and saw passenger rear window was slightly down. Opened door and window dropped an inch.

I'd seen that before so I figured I would just have to roll down and back up to reset. Closed door, went to drivers door to reset but switch not working. Tried other doors and they were not working. Note that window lock for rear windows also not working.

Rebooted MCU but no change. Windows obviously have power since they go down when you operate door. BTW, mirror controls are fine.

Any thoughts? Frustrated because rear window now open and cannot close.

OK... got in the car today, started driving and the noise from from vortex shedding with one window open was horrible. So I instinctively hit the switch to roll down my window and everything was working again.

Very frustrating and a little bit scary that things can just stop working and then start up again.

Good news (Kind of) GaryREM! Something must have just gotten confused in the computers. As far as fuses, the link I sent has all the fuse boxes and fuse identities in that article. Here is the diagram of the passenger kick panel from that link that I used to wire my radar detector. Sorry, I thought that was what you were looking for.

Attachments

• Passenger Kick Plate Fuse Box Diagram.pdf
    386.3 KB · Views: 197
When I've had this issue across several Model S cars it has eventually lead to a failure of the window regulator. Hopefully that's not the case for you but if you're under warranty I'd have it addressed before you're no longer under warranty. If you're not under warranty you'll just have to endure it as long as you can and when you can't put up with it any longer, replace the window regulator.

Good news (Kind of) GaryREM! Something must have just gotten confused in the computers. As far as fuses, the link I sent has all the fuse boxes and fuse identities in that article. Here is the diagram of the passenger kick panel from that link that I used to wire my radar detector. Sorry, I thought that was what you were looking for.
Yeah, it clearly appears to have been a software issue since if it was a bad fuse (or short circuit) from that diagram the door handles would have been affected -- they weren't -- and the left and right sides are on separate circuits.

When I've had this issue across several Model S cars it has eventually lead to a failure of the window regulator. Hopefully that's not the case for you but if you're under warranty I'd have it addressed before you're no longer under warranty. If you're not under warranty you'll just have to endure it as long as you can and when you can't put up with it any longer, replace the window regulator.
Edit, ignore this post. Not sure how I missed the bit about it being on several windows. I think I read it when you first posted and then came back days later to respond and forgot the full explanation.

The newest 32.2 software just released included close windows on lock feature. It would be interested if this fixes your rear window. If it does, then there may be a switch problem.

I don't believe this applies to Model S. For whatever reason, the Model S which is their flagship car can't control the windows up or down from the app like the X, 3 and (I presume) Y. I've read it has something to do with a lack of hardware that the other cars possess but it's quite annoying. I can vent and close my sunroof remotely but that's it. Pretty lame if you ask me. If the update added at least the feature to close my windows from the app remotely that would be a start.