Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows tinting questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have anyone any experience with the precut nano ceramic from Motoshield pro? Tesla
Instead of no-name tint, you can buy pre-cut XPEL ceramic tint on ebay for about the same price. The liner has the XPEL label so you know its real. Opus is the seller but I forgot their username. I'm sure you can find them on ebay easily. I bought and installed it myself as a first time DIY. No issues after watching a bunch of install videos on youtube.

Reactions: JonB65
Instead of no-name tint, you can buy pre-cut XPEL ceramic tint on ebay for about the same price. The liner has the XPEL label so you know its real. Opus is the seller but I forgot their username. I'm sure you can find them on ebay easily. I bought and installed it myself as a first time DIY. No issues after watching a bunch of install videos on youtube.
Let me look into that. Thanks for tip

Which part of the car did you do? Did you need to heat shrink ?

Reactions: CpYledomUser1
Extreme n00b question since I've never got tinting done - the % of tint is indicative of the amount of light that can pass through, correct? Basically, the lower the number the darker the tint? It seems like reading on the forum here a lot of folks settle on around 70% for the windshield and roof.. I guess it also depends where you live and the local Po-Po scouting out cars with tinted windows.

Reactions: CpYledomUser1
So I'll ask what might be a dumb question. Looking at getting a ceramic tint on the windshield to help with heat rejection. That being said I live in WV and deal with a fair amount of snow. With that ceramic tint that provides heat rejection on the windshield am I basically making my front defroster be much less effective at melting ice/snow?

So I'll ask what might be a dumb question. Looking at getting a ceramic tint on the windshield to help with heat rejection. That being said I live in WV and deal with a fair amount of snow. With that ceramic tint that provides heat rejection on the windshield am I basically making my front defroster be much less effective at melting ice/snow?
I have read one post where someone mentioned that exact thing - melting snow was very difficult after ceramic tint.

I’ve posted about this before. Good tint blocks the heat from melting the ice which means your windshield wipes will cake up with ice and your windshield won’t defrost with anything less than maximum heat. It’s awful.
It’s absolutely effective during summer but for snow, it’s a huge mistake. :/ depends what your prioritize and where you live. A lesser effective IR heat reduction might be a good compromise. I’m considering it. Until then, just the side and rear windows will get tint only.

Expecting to take delivery of a M3 Red/White interior late this month and want to get the rear and sides tinted. Just stuck with what to do with rear window, half or full? With kids I was just worried that it might make the glass roof hard to see out of since it would be essentially double tinted. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

I’ve posted about this before. Good tint blocks the heat from melting the ice which means your windshield wipes will cake up with ice and your windshield won’t defrost with anything less than maximum heat. It’s awful.
It’s absolutely effective during summer but for snow, it’s a huge mistake. :/ depends what your prioritize and where you live. A lesser effective IR heat reduction might be a good compromise. I’m considering it. Until then, just the side and rear windows will get tint only.
I live in Philadelphia and parking MY in a garage. We get sub zero winters every year and snow/ice enough that you have to know how to drive in it. Definitely need to use the front defroster often every winter.

Now I’m debating installing 80% AirCeramic on the front windshield. With it now being summer all I’ve thought about is reducing the heat, but I’d hate for the defroster not to work as fast when I need it. Anyone in the North East or Canada go with a ceramic tint on front windshield and have no regrets over the winter?

Now I am thinking about just putting an upper windshield strip of 50% BlackCeramic to match the front windows and provide some blocking of the sun. For the rear door windows and the 2 small windows behind those, I plan to install the 80% AirCeramic so it doesn't make it too much darker, but still blocks IR heat. No plans for the rear windshield.

This is just a MS paint markup, but do you think this will look ok with a 50% black strip across the top of the legal limit (above the A↓S1 marking)? Is there anyone who has done this that can post some pics?

Attachments

• InkedIMG-1224_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG-1224_LI.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG-1225.jpg
    IMG-1225.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 101

didnt even think of that... guess the car will be garaged forever during the winter