Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows tinting questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Debating between Lummar IRX15 (which is actually 20%) and Lummar IRX 30 (whch is actually 32%) for the front windows. I have a black car with white interior seats. I want some privacy, but I don’t want it to be too dark where it’s difficult to drive at night. Anyone have some insight or advice on this?

Reactions: CpYledomUser1
My BMW had rear windows tinted at the factory. I made the mistake of tinting them the same as the front so it's darker than I'd like for night driving. When I get my MY tinted, I'll get a lighter tint (probably 70%) for heat purposes and put a darker tint on the front windows so they're relatively even in net light transmission.

Tinted my Y with 3M Nano Ceramic on all my windows (15% front, 50% rear). the MY rear windows come with a privacy glass as you all know, and its giving it a brownish color tint compared to a blue'ish tint on the front windows. at least that is what my installer is saying is the reason. is that normal? i was going to ask my installer to remove the tint unless this is common with all tesla privacy glass. its most obvious when looking at a white object where you will see the white temperature balance difference. thanks in advance for your input~

Attachments

• 20210821_114517.jpg
    20210821_114517.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 305
  • 20210822_130251.jpg
    20210822_130251.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 236
Tinted my Y with 3M Nano Ceramic on all my windows (15% front, 50% rear). the MY rear windows come with a privacy glass as you all know, and its giving it a brownish color tint compared to a blue'ish tint on the front windows. at least that is what my installer is saying is the reason. is that normal? i was going to ask my installer to remove the tint unless this is common with all tesla privacy glass. its most obvious when looking at a white object where you will see the white temperature balance difference. thanks in advance for your input~

The 3M supposedly gives off a bluish hue. That's why my installer recommended Xpel ceramic for a better match since it's a charcoal/black hue.

Attachments

• IMG_0523.jpg
    IMG_0523.jpg
    771.6 KB · Views: 236
The 3M supposedly gives off a bluish hue. That's why my installer recommended Xpel ceramic for a better match since it's a charcoal/black hue.

What percentage is that on the front windows with the Xpel? I'm getting Xpel Prime+ put on tomorrow and just getting some ideas. I'm going to do 70% on all the back windows & windshield, and 20% on the sunroof. Debating whether to get 30% or 20% on the side windows, since I have black interior and don't want it too dark.

And yes, 3M Crystalline does have a bluish tint to it. I had it on the windshield of my 530e and there was a slight blue hue to it but I got used to it over time. IMO the heat rejection on the 80% 3M Crystalline wasn't that great. Neither was the rejection that good with the 80% Suntek CIR that I had on my Model 3. I'm looking forward to see well the Xpel Prime+ works on my Model Y.

Reactions: ucsdsig and lchen6
What percentage is that on the front windows with the Xpel? I'm getting Xpel Prime+ put on tomorrow and just getting some ideas. I'm going to do 70% on all the back windows & windshield, and 20% on the sunroof. Debating whether to get 30% or 20% on the side windows, since I have black interior and don't want it too dark.

20% front windows and 70% on all the rear factory privacy glass. Didn't tint the windshield or roof.

I also debated between 30% vs 20% for the front. Ended up going with 20% to get the closest match to the rears.

for all Tesla fans, I tinted my model Y last week, I use ceramic 20% front side windows and 60% on the windshield.

I was unsure about tint the windshield and the 20%, but made a choice and car looks insane great!

If you are on the fence about 20% and 35% I would recommend 20%. See pics
It looking Nice! I ordered Model Y LR 2022 EDD June now. I'm looking into getting tinting because here in NorCal our summers in the valley are insane hot. We can park at home in garage but at shopping centers it can difficult to find shade. So you recommend 20% tint? and I'm guessing you didn't get the roof tinted? I may just buy a shade for roof on amazon and live it in there from May - Oct due to intense sun rays. Have you heard of other Model Y owners doing that to reduce sunglare and heat from roof? Thanks for the tips!

It looking Nice! I ordered Model Y LR 2022 EDD June now. I'm looking into getting tinting because here in NorCal our summers in the valley are insane hot. We can park at home in garage but at shopping centers it can difficult to find shade. So you recommend 20% tint? and I'm guessing you didn't get the roof tinted? I may just buy a shade for roof on amazon and live it in there from May - Oct due to intense sun rays. Have you heard of other Model Y owners doing that to reduce sunglare and heat from roof? Thanks for the tips!

I don't think tint shade matters. Different shades allow different amounts of visable light in. If you want to reduce heat from entering in the car then you want to make sure you install a high quality, window tint material, like ceramic. Check out this YouTube video:

Reactions: Otter2007
I don't think tint shade matters. Different shades allow different amounts of visable light in. If you want to reduce heat from entering in the car then you want to make sure you install a high quality, window tint material, like ceramic. Check out this YouTube video:

Yeah I was looking at that ceramic, I'll get a price quote from an installer. It looks expensive so may have to priortize different Tesla.

Yeah I was looking at that ceramic, I'll get a price quote from an installer. It looks expensive so may have to priortize different Tesla.
I got the Llumar Ceramic CTX tint on my M3 a few years ago and plan on the same tint when I get my Y hopefully by the end of March.

I'll go:

30% front sides
25% rear sides and sunroof glass
Llumar AIR 80% on the windshield

for all Tesla fans, I tinted my model Y last week, I use ceramic 20% front side windows and 60% on the windshield.

I was unsure about tint the windshield and the 20%, but made a choice and car looks insane great!

If you are on the fence about 20% and 35% I would recommend 20%. See pics
Hi, quick question about your tint. What brand did you use, and did you do all four windows or just the front?

Thanks!