Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows venting on their own?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello - I was checking the temp in my M3 via the native Tesla app, and noticed my windows were vented. The icon for the windows was showing the windows vented and the option to close. It was 34 degrees this morning, and I work 30 miles from my car, so I know I did not do this by mistake. I have noticed this a couple times.

Has anyone else seen this? I am lucky it is not raining, but this seems pretty bad, if this is not part of cabin cooling in anyway.

Reactions: go2realize
Hello - I was checking the temp in my M3 via the native Tesla app, and noticed my windows were vented. The icon for the windows was showing the windows vented and the option to close. It was 34 degrees this morning, and I work 30 miles from my car, so I know I did not do this by mistake. I have noticed this a couple times.

Has anyone else seen this? I am lucky it is not raining, but this seems pretty bad, if this is not part of cabin cooling in anyway.
Did you go look at the car? Were all four windows down a few centimeters, or was it just a single window?

I have not seen the car to know if they are down for sure, or just a bug in the app. Its like 40 degrees and the car is at a parking lot, so I wanted to make sure i closed them.
Well, the reason I asked was to differentiate between possibilities.
  1. If all four windows are down a few centimeters uniformly, that would look like the Vent feature had been activated, whether spontaneously or not.
  2. If a single window is down some random amount, it could be an instance of a problem that has been reported since the dawn of time, or at least since the Model 3 hit the streets. People have been reporting a window going down on its own. I was among them. I and others finally realized that we were inadvertently touching one of the window switches in the driver's door while exiting the car, but not noticing at the time. Oops.
Both would look the same on the phone app. Looking at the car would tell.

I had this issue couple of times so far. Few days back I saw the icon in teslamate showing the window was open while parked at home. I checked the app, the option for "close" showed up. I didn't think much of it and hit close without checking the car. Today when at work, 32F outside parked inside a garage, I saw the option to "close" the vent again. Since I didn't have time to check the car, I hit "close" again without checking. Next time I will check if the windows are actually open.
- 2018 LR AWD

Reactions: CharleyBC
An update. Today the car was parked in a parking lot, 20F outside temperature, locked, sentry mode on, I saw the "Close" icon instead of the "Vent" icon. I check the car, all the windows were closed. I clicked the "Close" icon, the windows make the sound as if closing the closed windows and the icon changes to "Vent". It looks like a software bug. I am on 2019.36.2.1 ea322ad.

I hope others can confirm this.

Just had the same thing. I can see my car windows are closed though, not vented like the app was showing. I then hit the close window button and nothing happened of course, pressed it again and the windows vented.

So yeah this could alarming should we start getting alot of rain, lol.

Was -10, parked the car and walking into work. Checked to make sure climate was off and saw “close” in app. Thought maybe I had opened a window when exiting so I hit “close”. Icon changed to “vent”.

Later that day on my lunch I checked the app and saw “close” again. Thought this was weird so I went to the car to check if they had opened on their own. They hadn’t, and hitting “close” only made the windows attempt to close further.

In short, when your car goes to sleep the app defaults to “close” regardless of window state. Maybe because there are more situations in where you’ll need to close the windows vs needing to vent them.

EDIT: as CharleyBC pointed out below apparently my theory was incorrect. Guess it is just random.

Last edited:
Can confirm this is a bug/feature.

Was -10, parked the car and walking into work. Checked to make sure climate was off and saw “close” in app. Thought maybe I had opened a window when exiting so I hit “close”. Icon changed to “vent”.

Later that day on my lunch I checked the app and saw “close” again. Thought this was weird so I went to the car to check if they had opened on their own. They hadn’t, and hitting “close” only made the windows attempt to close further.

In short, when your car goes to sleep the app defaults to “close” regardless of window state. Maybe because there are more situations in where you’ll need to close the windows vs needing to vent them.
Interesting theory that sleep sets the button to Close. So I just checked my app. The car has been asleep for hours (no Sentry at home). The button says Vent. 36.2.1.

Reactions: Jffurlan
Is this the feature I read about that to prevent frozen windows on a frameless door that get stuck and owners risk damaging the glass or the trim that the windows will be slightly down to clear the frame? I have not experienced this at all so not sure what you guys are experiencing. How far down do the windows go? Noticable from outside or not? Love to see a screen capture if you have one of what you see that alerts you to this. I see Vent listed under Controls but do you have to go into Controls on the app to even see this or does it appear on the app's main car image with the windows down? I rarely use the Control screen on my app, just Climate for the most part relative to temperature adjustments.

I'm on 2019.32.12.2 so maybe that's why I haven't encountered it. BTW I saw that 36.2.2 has started going out as of 11/13.

Oh and I found this 9/26 Teslarati article about the venting feature. Tesla to release mobile app update that allows window closing, venting features The video on the article shows someone using the close/vent option on his car so you can see how far it goes down (at least on his car when he filmed this). Looks like it's showing both/all? windows controlled by this (only one side of the car is shown). I can swear I read something from Elon saying there would be some feature that would lower the windows a bit to prevent the frozen window/frame/trim issue though.

Last edited:
Update to my earlier post in this thread. I had the "close" issue for an entire week. I kept hitting the "close" button to change to "vent", after few minutes it would show "close" again. I checked it by standing next to the car, the windows were definitely closed. I was looking at winter driving trips and thought I would use the CRC Heavy Duty Silicone Lubricant on the door seals. After lubricating the door seals, I stopped getting the "close" issue. So far it has been a day only, if anything changes, I will update.

This is the feature that prevent frozen windows under the trim. All the windows will be slightly down to clear the frame. You can actualy see it when you hit close, the windows will go up about 1cm... this automatically activate when temp get lower than 3C (about 35F)… there is nothing to be worry about

I noticed something similar last night- just so happened to look out the window and noticed all 4 windows were cracked approx 2". It was a HOT day and an hour or so before I noticed this the app said the cabin temp was approx 98f. I nave the Cabin Climate Control set to protect from Cabin Overheating but the auto-venting without notification is strange. Especially if was to rain. Anyone else experience this?