Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windscreen calibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just for info guys I’m having an absolute nightmare. Windscreen fitted through my Direct Line insurance company. The approved fitters are Autoglass who now apparently calibrate your screen. Took it to an Autoglass dealer who have apparently have the contract with Tesla to calabrate screens. After waiting 1/30 hours to be told they can’t do it. Tesla also will not calibrate the screen anymore if Autoglass have fitted it. After numerous promised phone calls which has never happened I’m in no mans land although Direct Line have been brilliant who hopefully are sorting out the problem for me . Fingers crossed.

There seems to be two aspects regarding calibration of the screen. Presumably this is the foremost?
  • Manual adjustment of (I guess) pitch and yaw of cameras themselves
  • Automatic software adjustment of calibration as per first drive and now, as of last years firmware update, via a user accessible service menu item then driving the car
Do we know if the manual adjustment is always necessary? ie, if automatic software adjustment doesn't throw a 'can't calibrate error' does that then mean that its job done?

We had our screen replaced at a Tesla service centre and no mention of camera calibration on the invoice, yet others who have also had their screens fitted at Tesla have had it listed on invoice. I also know, by the cars mileage when it was dropped off and picked up, that no automatic software adjustment by driving was done - although I have subsequently done this myself.

I'm guessing here, that prior to the Automatic software adjustment, a calibration was in the hands of Tesla, but now its a user accessible option, I am questioning the need for a manual adjustment if auto calibration is successful. I have heard that some auto repairers won't touch bumper repairs as the bumper sensors need calibrating... hmmmm...

Just got a chip in mine. What’s the recommended process? Do I call autoglass to try and get it repaired? If they can’t what then?
You replace the glass through Autoglass, then calibration is either through them of Tesla (they pays Tesla for you). I had my calibration at Tesla West Drayton, took 45mins on a Friday afternoon. Autoglass are expecting to have the calibration done at one of their centers, no doubt saving paying Tesla, but from above there would seem to be some disagreement.

The Autoglass guy who changed my screen was very knowledgeable about Tesla's, had changed many before including roof sections. He made sure he pointed out how some bits of trim fitted before he started etc. so there was no confusion afterwards. The calibration was off afterwards, car drove to one side in the lane. After calibration it's back to perfect.

I had a an absolute nightmare recently with a windscreen replacement/calibration. Windscreen was booked in with Autoglass who told me I had to also book in with Tesla to calibrate the cameras and my insurance company will also cover that cost. I contacted Tesla who agreed and booked me in for the calibration on the same day of the replacement! Great...... I thought!

The day before the replacement I get a text from Tesla saying they don't need to calibrate it as the car can do it itself so they're cancelling the appointment! I contact Autoglass who inform me that the cameras MUST be calibrated by Tesla otherwise they cannot report back to my insurance company that the car has been restored to manufacturer spec which could void my insurance! Back and forth with Tesla via text and the day ends with no agreement!

My Autoglass centre happens to be across the road from my local Tesla SC so before my Autoglass appointment I go to Tesla to get reassurance they will calibrate after. They completely refused to, saying head office has told them not to calibrate cameras after third party windscreen replacements. The Tesla SC understand I'm stuck in the middle and agree to call Autoglass but neither backs down. In the end, the agreed solution by both parties was to have the cameras calibrated by a Tesla approved workshop!

2 weeks after the replacement .......... a huge stone hits my windscreen and leaves a lovely crack! At least I know what to do this time!

Last edited:
3 weeks after picking up my new car I was hit by a stone from a lorry on the way to the Lifton Supercharger while on vacation. My insurance company put me straight on to Autoglass who could only offer an appointment in Sheffield (where I live) 7 days later. Nearer the time Autoglass called to delay to this Wednesday as they could not locate the necessary glass. Then, yesterday, I received a text from Autoglass explaining I now need to go to one of a short list of their centres as the cameras need calibrating. So another two weeks wait but hopefully, on 15th November Leeds Autoglass will do everything as they have purchased the calibration kit from Tesla UK, are approved fitters and have had all the necessary training for the two installers required to replace a Model 3 windscreen. As many will imagine I have everything crossed that this all goes smoothly now and feel incredibly sorry for any Model 3 owners north of Leeds & Stockport as they are the most northerly centres on the Autoglass approved list :(

3 weeks after picking up my new car I was hit by a stone from a lorry on the way to the Lifton Supercharger while on vacation. My insurance company put me straight on to Autoglass who could only offer an appointment in Sheffield (where I live) 7 days later. Nearer the time Autoglass called to delay to this Wednesday as they could not locate the necessary glass. Then, yesterday, I received a text from Autoglass explaining I now need to go to one of a short list of their centres as the cameras need calibrating. So another two weeks wait but hopefully, on 15th November Leeds Autoglass will do everything as they have purchased the calibration kit from Tesla UK, are approved fitters and have had all the necessary training for the two installers required to replace a Model 3 windscreen. As many will imagine I have everything crossed that this all goes smoothly now and feel incredibly sorry for any Model 3 owners north of Leeds & Stockport as they are the most northerly centres on the Autoglass approved list :(
So you couldn’t drive for car for all this time? 😱😱😱😱

Damn. Had a chip whihc autoglass came out and filled. Just this morning I noticed a massive crack which I think is coming from the same original chip area but not certain. Right from the bottom of the screen near the middle, about a third of the way up

How quickly will autoglass be able to replace? Need to do a long trip next Thursday and not sure I’d feel comfortable driving

8D77C3EC-2148-46EF-89CE-DEE1AFD8B68E.jpeg

ouch - they just got back to me. Needs to go into the slough branch, they estimate 3 hours to fix and calibrate (so just long enough to be a pain but not long enough to try and arrange transport home and back), and they can’t book me in until 3rd December!

Will it be ok until then? I can’t not drive at all, and next week have a 300 mile round trip (although apart from that I can keep local)

I can't see that its any different to when you get a new car. You won't get TACC, autosteer, emergency lane departure etc until calibration finishes, but you will still be able to drive.

My bet is that if you trigger a camera calibration (which is a fairly recent user function) that the cameras will finish calibrating just fine.

thats what I thought - whats the fuss with the cameras? lots of cars have cameras and other sensors behind the windscreen and they can be replaced with a mobile engineer just fine. Vision based systems should be fine as they should be able to calibrate where the road is with a refresh of their setup - smoething autoglass should be able to trigger easily enough.

I just seem stuck for now as autoglass say I need to go into a branch and thats the 3rd dec.

The windscreen calibration might be more to do with any slight variation between the old and new glass (including checking focus, light levels, any lens/fisheye affect), rather than the in-car calibration of knowing where an object is.

I've had similar with previous cars that have a front camera, all needed to be done in an Autoglass facility and none could be done mobile.

Reactions: Mrklaw
Not that it particularly helps, but I had a windscreen replaced on my toyota Rav 4 2 years ago. It also has a front facing camera for the lane guidance feature and I too got told it needed calibrating and I had to take the car to my local autoglass to get it done.

Reactions: Mrklaw
I've gone through exactly this recently. 3 people from Tesla (1 in writing) said the in software camera calibration the user can trigger in service menu is perfectly adequate following a windscreen replacement. The manual confirms this too I believe. This is a relatively recent software addition though. Autoglass say they have to do the calibration at one of their ADAS centres (some acronym for cars with front camera/sensor arrays).

This is an issue of liability on their part according to someone knowledgeable at the Autoglass call centre, if you refuse this additional service they send you a letter to sign saying you accept liability (presumably if the autopilot malfunctioned as a result and caused an accident). If you let them do it they accept liability for the calibration.

It is also a much quicker process for them to complete, albeit the same ultimately - they drive it around a bit and let the cameras do their thing. There is no hardware alignment involved, all software. However they do it in some sort of service mode which means they only have to drive a few miles rather than the many miles you have to drive through the user triggered recalibration process. A knowledgeable Autoglass technician explained that part to me before he drove away in my car.

Hope this helps, I couldn't wrap my head round it at the time initially given the feedback from Tesla direct.

Reactions: Nick77