Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windscreen chip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

Yesterday I have got windscreen chip smaller than £2 coin just above the where V/N is displayed (Bad luck).

I was going through some online advice and got to know though it is small chip but because it is within 3 cm of the boundary therefore my whole windscreen needs to be replaced? Is this so?

If this is the case I am planning to to use Autoglass company how's your experience with these guys?

Thanks in advance.
IMG_8111.jpeg

I was going through some online advice and got to know though it is small chip but because it is within 3 cm of the boundary therefore my whole windscreen needs to be replaced? Is this so?
Doesn’t look like you are within 3 cm. Certainly not to the actual edge of the glass as it goes down further than you can see.

The main reason for the restriction is just so they can place their tool over the chip and get a good seal to allow the resin to be injected.

Reactions: Jitm
Autoglass guy came today to repair the chip(after 3 hours late). I dont know what he did but it became worst now I have big crack till half of my windscreen. :(

He said now it needs replacement. He called Autoglass and they said my insurance company (direct line) does not cover original windscreen but they can replace it like to like windscreen but without Tesla logo? What the F.....?

Autoglass can still give me quote for original screen though.

They are going to give me quotes and timeline for both original and non-original tomorrow?

I am not sure what should I do? I have no idea what like to like windscreen replacement mean if it is not original and I am also worried if it is not original will it impact my Tesla guarantee?

Should I go directly with Tesla to replace the windscreen? Does anyone know how much it cost?

Not feeling good today :(

Autoglass guy came today to repair the chip(after 3 hours late). I dont know what he did but it became worst now I have big crack till half of my windscreen. :(

He said now it needs replacement. He called Autoglass and they said my insurance company (direct line) does not cover original windscreen but they can replace it like to like windscreen but without Tesla logo? What the F.....?

Autoglass can still give me quote for original screen though.

They are going to give me quotes and timeline for both original and non-original tomorrow?

I am not sure what should I do? I have no idea what like to like windscreen replacement mean if it is not original and I am also worried if it is not original will it impact my Tesla guarantee?

Should I go directly with Tesla to replace the windscreen? Does anyone know how much it cost?

Not feeling good today :(
Had my screen replaced by Tesla recently (because Autoglass couldn’t get one) and it cost £923.30 including new windscreen wipers.
I had to pay and claim back from my insurer’s less the excess - in my case £75.

Had my screen replaced by Tesla recently (because Autoglass couldn’t get one) and it cost £923.30 including new windscreen wipers.
I had to pay and claim back from my insurer’s less the excess - in my case £75.

Odd! That's just over £100 more than I paid Tesla Winchester for my screen and wiper blades which all but £75 was refunded by Churchill.
My screen was for a 2020 (Fremont) M3LR.

So, I’m with Churchill insurance, started with a small chip which quickly became a crack, logged it with auto glass back in Feb then constant text messages saying due to world shortage etc called Churchill and they have now agreed to let me use Tesla dartford, my estimate is £915.59 which I’ll ned to pay and Churchill will refund all but the £75 excess.

I did get some good stuff off Amazon that will fix what you have, it was about £5 if you buy 4 of the “rain x windscreen repair kit” will find it and a guy on YouTube shows using it on a crack. I’ve done mine, although still booked in for a replacement, seems to have stopped the crack growing.

Oh and I have an M3 70 plate as you can see :)

Probably made by the same company just not purchased through Telsa. If not it will be made by one of the other small number of companies that make auto windscreens. No issue, thousands of people across the UK have non branded screens put in every week.

Telsa doesn’t give you a windscreen guarantee so you haven’t lost anything and replacing a screen has no bearing on warranty claims for unrelated items.

Oh and i drove mine, it started off as a chip on the motorway to Essex, was a small crack before i got home, the all the way from the side to about the mirror, as long if not a little bit longer than yours but just kept growing, after the stuff it stopped expanding.