TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Windscreen replacement Model S

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Redninja, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Redninja

Redninja Member

Has anyone had their windscreen replaced yet? We have a large bullseye directly in front of the driver. Legally must be replaced. We have already had one repair done last year.
    Have other people used regular windscreen repairers to replace them, or are they only done by Tesla? Our insurer is insisting we get a quote from their preferred provider (Winscreen's O'Brien) and I'm nervous about the possible damage that could be done to the connected electricals.
    Tesla have told us there is a 2week wait for windscreens to arrive from China. This seems an unacceptable delay to me.

2. PJF000

PJF000 TOCA Member

I think I would want a Tesla windscreen. I don't think it is just a piece of glass.

3. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

I made this photograph by request of the repairshop to identify the windscreen for replacement.
    Please note: Tesla logo and brand name are printed in the lower driverside corner. IMG_0775.JPG

Waiting three weeks for replacement, now...

4. TesAus

TesAus Member

It seems bizarre that they wouldn't hold a couple of spares in Melbourne and in Sydney at least? With 500 or so cars in each state you would expect that one or two a year might need replacing?

5. raynewman

raynewman Member

Particularly as they had a tail light in stock when I needed it. Or, perhaps, they had a few in stock and they've all been used :eek:

6. mike_j

mike_j Member

I went through the same process twelve months ago.

Don't stress. O'Brien's will decline to replace the windscreen, as Tesla is the only supplier, and they are not an approved O'Brien's vendor.

The insurance company will then require you to get a quote from Tesla. They will then approve the Tesla quote.

It takes a few phone calls and chasing up, but turns out alright in the end.

It has to be done by Tesla anyway, as the camera calibration is critical..

7. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

Have you considered repairing the windscreen? I once had one repaired and couldn't locate the repair site afterwards, basically as good as new. Depends on the nature of the damage I suppose.

8. paulp

paulp Member

Hopefully they get this side of the business resolved before the model 3 inundation

9. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

Does anyone feel the glass is soft, so to speak, on Tesla windscreens compared to other cars? I've never had some many marks that will not come out (including light scratching than seemingly just appears) than with any other car....

-ECIT

10. garyjac

garyjac Member

Consider using Autoglym Glass Polish to remove heavy schmutz and light scratches. Anything more might need a run over with an RO polisher.