Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windscreen stone chip repair - Tesla service center appointment or local repairer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During today's trip home on the highway, the front windscreen got hit by a rock, which caused a stone chip in the glass :mad:

Has anyone had experience with windscreen stone chip repairs and would they recommend going through Tesla or a local repairer?

Thanks

It really depends where the chip is and how large too. Best to take it to a windscreen place and see if it is repairable, should only cost around $160 or so.
I recently went through this but had the whole windscreen replaced as the chip was not repairable. Taken to Tesla as they are the only place can replace a winsdcreen. Was done through insurance NRMA windscreen option so cost zero.
It should be noted that the windscreen I have now is laminated and it looks like the same as on the front of the model 3, not sure if the original factory one was the same?

Reactions: positiv and 1001
During today's trip home on the highway, the front windscreen got hit by a rock, which caused a stone chip in the glass :mad:

Has anyone had experience with windscreen stone chip repairs and would they recommend going through Tesla or a local repairer?

This happened to me on a trip to Bathurst. Got it fixed the same day just using the local mobile windscreen repairer, no problems. The repair was very good, you can see it if you look but you need to know where to look. It takes about an hour to do.

It’s really important to get it fixed ASAP so that dust &/or water does not get into the cracks, or the crack starts to grow.

Reactions: 1001
I have bought a $40 kit from supercheap and fixed mine. It was too big for O'Briens to fix apparently.

I haven't fixed it completely, but it stopped it from spreading (so far) and it looks semi decent.

My thinking was, have to replace the windscreen anyhow, so can't hurt trying to fix it.

Reactions: 1001
Thanks all - went to Obriens yesterday and got the chip fixed.

Talking to the team at Obriens, they mentioned there was an email out from corporate regarding Tesla windscreen replacement. It seems they are in negotiation with Tesla regarding windscreen replacement and fitting.

The Obriens team advice was as follows:
- If the windscreen cracks you have to go through Tesla
- Make sure your insurance overs windscreen damage
- You will likely need to pay out of pocked for the windscreen replacement, however the insurance company will re-reimburse the costs of replacement

The team were great and did an excellent job.

Lessons to learn from this thread:
1. Windscreen cover = mandatory with insurance
2. Hire care cover = mandatory with insurance, if Tesla inventory is an issue and the car is deemed not safe to drive due to windscreen damage

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Lessons to learn from this thread:
1. Windscreen cover = mandatory with insurance
2. Hire care cover = mandatory with insurance, if Tesla inventory is an issue and the car is deemed not safe to drive due to windscreen damage

1. Absolutely agree. Own a Tesla, and you are nuts to not have glass cover in your policy.
2. One thing people may not be aware of is that if you are not the at-fault party in an incident, you can claim the cost of a hire car against the at-fault party’s insurer. We made such a claim once when our Leaf was smashed up by an out-of-control ute. We got a hire car for the 2 weeks it took to fix. Obviously this would not help in a serious windscreen damage incident since there is usually no at-fault party.

• Informative
Reactions: 1001 and Maximillan
I have found that the Tesla windscreen chips much easier than any other car I have owned. My last car I had for three years and did a heap of outback driving and never got one chip. I’ve had the 3 for just coming up on a year, driven on mostly main roads and have three chips. (The most recliner was just today) I tried to get the first two repaired but they said it wasn’t possible. They are very, very shallow. As in only the very top layer of laminate and maybe 1.5 - 2mm round at most. The guy at O’Brians said that they could put a filler in them but because they were so small and shallow it would probably only last a week or two before just falling out. So now I have to look at them every time I drive which is a pain but what can you do.

Reactions: 1001 and Leeroy
Just to add some more data. Lodged 2019 M3 LR windscreen replacement claim with Suncorp, default repairer is O'Brien. Dire warnings from the insurer that they would only pay a "fair & reasonable" amount if I didn't use O'Brien.

O'Brien: Aftermarket glass "Tesla won't sell us genuine windscreens" & "ADAS calibration": $1760.50 inc GST
Tesla: $1154.13 inc GST

Was an absolute pain in the arse getting a quote out of O'Brien. Suncorp has an express glass claim process where they don't bother with getting quotes, just trust O'Brien to do the job & invoice when they're done. Two phone calls to the insurer, and four to O'Brien before someone would admit to a price.

I'm insured with Comminsure (commonwealth bank) with glass covered. After a couple of chips appeared I rang them, and they sent me to O'brien who can't do it until November. I rang the insurer again and suggested Tesla. They asked for a quote which I simply got from the Tesla app which returned a price of A$1,245.28 instantly. So, I forwarded a screen capture of that price from the app to comminsure and now I'm waiting to hear back if that's an acceptable price. I just wonder if the Tesla original glass is better than the aftermarket glass that O'brien provides? Tesla glass seems to chip easily that's fore sure.

Just recently had my windscreen replaced by Tesla. Check out the left and right alignment difference to the roof glass. A bit disappointing.

Attachments

• CFC682D0-A868-4AD7-AF7F-88FAB1932E4B.jpeg
    CFC682D0-A868-4AD7-AF7F-88FAB1932E4B.jpeg
    330.2 KB · Views: 201
  • FC934EC4-1B07-4D04-8F3B-1E0AC1A3D8CF.jpeg
    FC934EC4-1B07-4D04-8F3B-1E0AC1A3D8CF.jpeg
    313.3 KB · Views: 98
My turn with the windscreen crack, it is minor - right hand corner (bottom) size less than a 1$ coin
Insurance covers it, so that's good
O'brien booked for a mobile service tomorrow - they initially wanted to replace withe aftermarket, told em, it's small come and attempt to fix it please

Does anyone know, how long will it take to Tesla to replace it, do they even have stock ?

I tried doing a Service request $1,649 - can book tomorrow in Mulgrave VIC
Waiting to see if O'Brien can fix though