Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windscreen/windshield issue SC refuses to do anything

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone!
I need your help and suggestions again.
Sorry, this will be a long post...

The main questions of this post are:
- have you experienced this?
- if yes, how did you resolve it. If no, does this look normal and “it’s supposed to be like that”?
- what can I insist Tesla SC does to rectify this?

so this is a bit of a rant, out of desperation and I’m looking for a possibile solutions or a line of trading with Tesla to try.

So my car’s windscreen was perfect at delivery and for 3-4 months UNTIL the first SC visit where they repainted my frunk lid.

I collect my car (July) and the windshield is COVERED FULLY in overspray. You can’t feel it under your hand.
It start getting dark and it’s raining and you cannot see ANYTHING visibility like 20-25% Max.
Bought all sorts of chemicals and tried to clean it, nothing.
Next day I return to SC and ask them to deal with it as the car is not safe other than in a sunny day.
They clean it, and replace wipers (as they have been a little damaged by the overspray). You now cannot Feel anything with the touch (about 5% was left here and there) and it looks ok.

Couple of days pass and I drive at evening/night and it also rains.
Issues again.

there is a permanent film of sorts (grey/whiteish) on the exterior of the windscreen and it is permanent.
You cannot clean it, wipe it or scrub it.
It does show when the light hits, especially at night when there are streetlights hitting the windscreen.
Water also makes it obvious.

The car goes in service again for other delivery items AND windshield.
After 2 weeks (today), I collect my car and despite a full description and several pictures they tell me they cannot see an issue.

the technicians were trying to help, and
Ive then spent about 1hr with a technician where I’ve shown him the defect, he’s seen it under the light and he verified that there is something, but since it’s ok once the moisture dries down, hes happy with it.
I’m don’t agree from a visibility and safety perspective, and he takes a senior technician, who sees the issue and then they say they have another M3 on site with a very similar complaint (that M3 apparently was not repainted), they check them both and they both have the same thing.

It is then determined (by the technicians) that this is standard for Tesla and It is within spec.
That it’s how the glass it’s supposed to be.

they are unable to answer why this only became an issue AFTER the 1st visit when they painted the car and the windscreen was sprayed by mistake.

From their side they cleaned it, they polished it and there’s nothing else they can do.
They said a new windshield will be the same and they don’t advise to replace it (not even out of pocket, for which they quoted me £900 by the way for parts and labour...)

their solution was:

- do (at my own expense) a ceramic coating of the windscreen
- get a non-Tesla windscreen. (Am I crazy to void the warranty????)

Now I’m so desperate that I may just replace at my cost, but I think it’s a matter of principle, they created an issue so why should I pay to rectify something they caused at the visit???

To make it worse, I have noticed now that the chrome trim has permanent marks too that weren’t there before!!!

I’ve posted some pics, for clarity, this is hard to capture on camera...
But look in the light reflections on the windshield you’ll see like a spotty deposit..

Attachments

• C7FF7D60-5EB9-462D-8500-A605CF46380E.jpeg
    C7FF7D60-5EB9-462D-8500-A605CF46380E.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 04EF7904-565F-46A2-8459-8CB53A70A21F.jpeg
    04EF7904-565F-46A2-8459-8CB53A70A21F.jpeg
    347.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 22B96CDD-5BD2-4978-9635-A5973A2BD977.jpeg
    22B96CDD-5BD2-4978-9635-A5973A2BD977.jpeg
    587.9 KB · Views: 86
  • D4AA561D-F3E5-49CE-AE7E-449AC4161708.jpeg
    D4AA561D-F3E5-49CE-AE7E-449AC4161708.jpeg
    380.7 KB · Views: 94
  • FA980BBA-EA2A-4353-9FF8-268D67EF9D4C.jpeg
    FA980BBA-EA2A-4353-9FF8-268D67EF9D4C.jpeg
    246 KB · Views: 84
  • 34B59E22-494B-4A0B-BA62-AFDC042EE952.jpeg
    34B59E22-494B-4A0B-BA62-AFDC042EE952.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 85
I would try a degreaser spray and also clay bar the windshield using ONR as lubricant. I know you said you used a bunch of products but didn't specify what exactly you've tried.

hi! Sorry, you’re right :D

move used different glass cleaners, degreaser, tar and big removers and lastly a clay bar spray.. (Or of those that changes colour)
Nothing... :(

I've had this problem before after a paintjob on my old car. I used 0000 steel wool with regular car soap and really rubbed my winshield good all over. After, I polished it and it was good as new. Not sure if it will help but it might be worth a shot.

Reactions: Blueskye
Agreed with above... OP after everything you've tried, start with least invasive and work up.

1. Glass cleaner, lube and claybar or even better special clay for glass (Griots cleaner works great as lube and they have special glass claybars, mits, bars, etc).

2. Go to a shop that polishes paint and have them do a very very gentle non abrasive polish on the windshield... if they have the right pads, offset orbitals, and experience with glass polishing - ideal. If not be weary. And carefup if you attempt yourself.

3. You do not want or need to use cerium oxide for above.

4. Steel wool 0000 as last resort on a perfectly clean windshield. wet if needed, but better dry, then discard.

5. If above fail, replace windshield.
The lack of factory off gassing on the inside and overspray on outside will more than make up the cost, just hope for no ghosting and far worse optics vs current.

• Helpful
Reactions: Blueskye
Thank you so much everyone!
So many products/ideas to try!
I’ll restart my attempts and see if I can find someone that does the polishing.. Not attempting that myself! :confused::confused:

will I damage the chrome trims by using the same chemicals on them? As some marks have appeared on them too?

The other question would be though, shouldn’t Tesla be doing all this since it was them who caused it???? Can I do something for them to go through the headache and resolve it?
Because if I use certain stuff and then end up say damaging the windscreen, I’ll still be liable to shell out £900, but if they do it, they have to rectify.
I guess this is my whole point, they made the mistake and now they sending me home with issues, if I do anything on top it will be my fault and their “responsibility” disappears!

I had a something that I think is similar, I used a hard water stain remover and a lot of elbow grease to remove the marks but it also removes a light layer of the glass. Check my post to see if you have the same issue: Water marks/stains on windshield
Yes! It’s quite similar to a degree, like the circumstances. The exception is that my windscreen is fully covered and it’s a layer.
I’m not fancying to remove the layer on the windscreen! :confused::(

Thank you so much everyone!
So many products/ideas to try!
I’ll restart my attempts and see if I can find someone that does the polishing.. Not attempting that myself! :confused::confused:

will I damage the chrome trims by using the same chemicals on them? As some marks have appeared on them too?

The other question would be though, shouldn’t Tesla be doing all this since it was them who caused it???? Can I do something for them to go through the headache and resolve it?
Because if I use certain stuff and then end up say damaging the windscreen, I’ll still be liable to shell out £900, but if they do it, they have to rectify.
I guess this is my whole point, they made the mistake and now they sending me home with issues, if I do anything on top it will be my fault and their “responsibility” disappears!
I'd start with a good detail shop and have them use clay bar first. Tesla should step up and either correct for you or reimburse you for the detail service. Good luck.

That
I personally polish all my windscreens with an orbital polisher and 3M glass polishing compound, followed by a normal glass cleaner like Meguirs to remove any residue compound. I've not found anything that this cannot remove.
Thanks.
I’ll keep this is mind :)

unfortunately I don’t have any of those items and I’ve already been coughing up quite a bit for all these sprays I’ve bought so far...
Will need ONR and clay bar too I’m quite reluctant on spending even more for something I probs won’t be using again anytime soon.
I live in a flat so can even use any polishers as no sockets around :(

Iv
I'd start with a good detail shop and have them use clay bar first. Tesla should step up and either correct for you or reimburse you for the detail service. Good luck.

I’ve been to a decent detailed, ive seen quite a few expensive car there, so reassured me lol.
Much more expensive and prestigious than Tesla :D so I’d they trust them... I’m good LOL

anyways they confirmed that the whole of the car has overspray! From the windscreen, to the front passenger and driver glass, to the mirror covers and the front of the car at least.
It’s quite rough (I felt it on the paintwork yesterday, but I thought it was just dirty from sitting outside possibly...)

they also confirmed that the chrome on the car has been permanently marked by incorrect chemicals (NOT ME! They were there before I tried to clean it) and the “pouring” effect won’t go.

they said normally you could try to polish it but on new cara it’s a plastic piece with basically a wrap, so there’s a high chance that it either will be ruined or won’t get better.options are chrome delete (Nope!), keep it as is or replace the whole chrome piece on both sides :)confused::confused::eek::eek:).

I think I’ll be having a shout at the SC manager.
Coz I know I’ll be treated like I’m crazy or I caused the issues.

P.s. the windscreen has been scrubbed to death (by me) and I applied rainx twice and it’s almost perfect except in small sections.. (or at least for now..

Ruined chrome is below...

Attachments

• 2693BB9B-F8F4-4569-9DDB-62890AD2365E.jpeg
    2693BB9B-F8F4-4569-9DDB-62890AD2365E.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited: