TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Windscreen/windshield squirter reboot problem

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Slackjaw, May 15, 2012.

1. Slackjaw

Slackjaw Member

So my wiper fluid ran out (yeah, embarrassing) and I refilled it, and now it won't squirt at all, even though the reservoir is full. Any suggestions? I tried cleaning the nozzles.

I know TEG, Nigel and Bonnie will all have plenty of fun with this but look, people, it's a real problem and it could happen to anyone. :redface:

Thanks in advance.

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Running out of fluid is probably not the root cause; you can get a clog in the outlet from the reservoir or in the tube. See if you can remove the tubing from the tank and blow it out with some compressed air.

3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

#3 bonnie, May 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    It might be a snake.

4. strider

strider Active Member

You might need to prime the pump. Get a friend and cover the nozzles w/ your fingers. Have your friend activate and hold the washer. You should feel some pressure on your finger. Gently release and see if liquid is coming out. If not, cover it again. Try this a few times and you should get fluid.

5. Slackjaw

Slackjaw Member

Thanks, I'll try this first. It does remind me of the time MPT "accidentally" squirted me in the face with wiper fluid from my car while checking something in my car at one of our meets...

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Mine just ran out (or maybe clogged) We have very hard water coming out of he ground that makes sinks and showers dry white. I'm thinking distilled water.

Once a friend bought some "windshield wiper fluid" from a autoparts store. It ate his paint. I'm sticking with water.

7. bolosky

bolosky Member

I had my washer fail twice from driving on a go kart track (and the resulting very fun high G turns). It made the reservoir move enough that it crimped the tube.

8. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Mine ran out and it took a *LONG LONG* time for it to start pumping again. It just takes a while (and IIRC Tesla told me that's expected because I reported it as broken and they told me to just keep running it).

9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Elon has a cross-company fix for this...

kmhn601l.jpg

10. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Just waiting for TEG to weigh in now.

11. Slackjaw

Slackjaw Member

Strider's fix almost worked for me; I get pressure and then when I take my fingers off the nozzles it squirts but only once. It does seem to be consistent with the pump having air in it (aka "needing to be primed"). I get the same problem with my espresso machine. I'll try a more protracted run later; I didn't try for long this time because my assistant is only 4 yrs old and was beginning to lose interest [he can't reach the pedals to put the car in drive, BTW]. I'm also worried that I'm going to burn my paint off with the wiper fluid now (previously was distilled water). Thanks for the suggestions.

12. tdevince

tdevince Member

You probably have algae growth in your reservoir clogging the outlet. The OEM fluid did not have enough alcohol to prevent growth. This happened to me as well. Simply remove the tank and clean the screen and refill with normal fluid. Prime the pump and you're good to go.

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I think the OEM fluid is water, or at least it used to be. Fortunately I was smart enough to replace it with proper washer fluid before the first winter hit. Other owners had their sprayers freeze solid. California companies, I tell ya!

14. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

It's no better in Texas. The fluid is coloured blue but freezes when the temperature is below 40.

15. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

This story was in today's paper:

16. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

In Central California, it was the coldest. I lost all of my citrus, and cherry trees due to cold.

17. slcasner

slcasner Member

Way OT, but I thought cherry trees need winter chill hours in order to produce.

18. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

They froze all the way through, now dead. 1 of 5 survived. 4 avacados lost, 2 orange, two limes, two grapefruit.

19. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

They changed the fluid manufacturer at some point and whatever it was would freeze very easily. Mine froze solid the winter before last. When I complained about it, that's what I was told.
    These days I use the Rain-X fluid.