Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield angle or Quality of Glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019 Model 3 LR AWD NP, just wondering if anyone else is experience tiny rock chip on windshield, . What I have are so small just peppered over the entire windshield and or so small they can't be filled, but while driving into the sun you see them, if I hear the slight tick of something you can't even see, you gotta a chip. So could it be the angle of the shield that makes it prone to chips or the quality of the glass. Any thoughts are welcome. Or windshield protection that won't distort the view

Reactions: Perscitus
Yeah, lots of tiny chips on my windshield in spite of my best efforts on road trips to avoid them. A couple of larger chips from totally unexpected/unlucky rocks as well - but no cracks or anything too annoying yet.

This has happened on every vehicle I've ever owned, though. Subaru, Toyota, Chevrolet.

You just have to avoid that dreaded sound and give gravel trucks a 2-3 lane berth or get past them as quickly as possible. Also don't follow behind vehicles without mud flaps, which is apparently the majority of SUVs and pickups. Also high performance sports cars tend to have sticky tires which kick up rocks more readily.

You also can't drive in dust/sand storms. It will destroy your windshield (covering it in a fine haze of pits) and your finish. Also not a good idea in general!

Last edited:
2019 Model 3 LR AWD NP, just wondering if anyone else is experience tiny rock chip on windshield, . What I have are so small just peppered over the entire windshield and or so small they can't be filled, but while driving into the sun you see them, if I hear the slight tick of something you can't even see, you gotta a chip. So could it be the angle of the shield that makes it prone to chips or the quality of the glass. Any thoughts are welcome. Or windshield protection that won't distort the view
yeah, mine is the same. I use this product and it's pretty easy to apply. if the chips are small, i skip the syringe step and go straight to the last step to save time and product. I end up covering all the tiny chips before they get bigger, but again i'm pretty paranoid because windshield replacement is pretty expensive.

https://www.amazon.ca/Permatex-0910...matex+windshield+repair&qid=1575409565&sr=8-1

• Informative
Reactions: Tron 3
It's an aerodynamically-designed car. The hood slopes low. The windshield starts low. More road debris is going to hit your windshield as a result. Do you hear more "tick" sounds hitting the windshield than in other cars? That's why.

You can get film for your windshield. Go to a shop and make them show you a car with their windshield protection, and then you can decide if it does or doesn't distort your view.

I looked at my windshield carefully, and the glass is St.Gobain. They're one of the largest automotive glass manufacturers in the world, if not the largest. My BMW uses the same manufacturer. It's possible that the glass could be a bad batch, but the complaints are widespread, so seemingly random leading one to believe it's not the glass, but the frequency of impacts that is the issue.

It's similar to the sandblasting of people's rocker panels. The aero design leads to a concentration of road debris blasting the rockers, far more than your average car. No paint job could withstand that amount of sandblasting. Of course, there could be paint issues as well, but the primary cause is the aero design of the car itself, making it more prone to exterior wear and tear.

It's an aerodynamically-designed car. The hood slopes low. The windshield starts low. More road debris is going to hit your windshield as a result. Do you hear more "tick" sounds hitting the windshield than in other cars? That's why.

You can get film for your windshield. Go to a shop and make them show you a car with their windshield protection, and then you can decide if it does or doesn't distort your view.

I looked at my windshield carefully, and the glass is St.Gobain. They're one of the largest automotive glass manufacturers in the world, if not the largest. My BMW uses the same manufacturer. It's possible that the glass could be a bad batch, but the complaints are widespread, so seemingly random leading one to believe it's not the glass, but the frequency of impacts that is the issue.

It's similar to the sandblasting of people's rocker panels. The aero design leads to a concentration of road debris blasting the rockers, far more than your average car. No paint job could withstand that amount of sandblasting. Of course, there could be paint issues as well, but the primary cause is the aero design of the car itself, making it more prone to exterior wear and tear.
I agree with you KenC. The lower to the ground, the closer you are to road debris.
Having said that I recently replaced my'03 Silverado windshield and couldn't believe how bad the pitting in it was. That windshield was much more upright than the laid down angle of the 3. IMO, the angle makes the pits stand out more and drive you nuts when the sun is low in your face.
Falcon3 mentioned the Permatex repair kit. One of my favorites and fairly easy to use, even when it develops a crack. Also QuickWax by McGuire's can reduce the refraction of the tiny ones and make the glass look way better. It's also a good coating to help protect the glass, like cheap ceramic coating.
Of course there's a foolproof way to never get a mark anywhere on your 3 but garaged forever isn't a good option. :p

Same here. Tiny pits and nicks galore especially in line of sight... drivers and passengers side. Driving directly into the sun at dawn or dusk is an OCD nightmare.

No tail-gaiting, no truck following, no driving in sand/salt conditions, limited interstate use.

Windshield always kept clean.

1 year in it looks worse than previous cars at 4, 6, 8+ years.