TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Windshield blocks transponder?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Mknac, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Mknac

Mknac Member

I recently moved to new community with gates that open by a transponder (Transcore) strip placed in the upper left hand corner of the windshield.

I haven't been able to get this system to work for me. A person at the HOA told me Tesla windshields block these transponders.

When I use the Easy Pass box-type transponders I've never had a problem. This is the first time I've had a strip attached to the windshield like this.

Anybody heard of this issue?

Attached Files:

2. Jamesus

Jamesus Member

I had the same issue when mounting my FasTrak transmitter. There’s a small area to the top right of your rear view mirror where you can place it.

3. beatle

beatle Member

I also put my toll lane transponder (EZ Pass) at the top of the windshield to the right of the rear view mirror. Did not have a (technical) problem paying $41.95 in tolls to drive back from Chicago! The EZpass flex also worked for HOV on the 395 express lanes in Northern VA.

4. Mknac

Mknac Member

Thx, looks like that little spot is more vertical than horizontal.

5. Merle

Merle Member

Put it in the back?

The rear window isn't metallic coated, and you can velcro it to the parcel shelf (underneath) so it's out of the way.

I got tired of calling our local folks here to complain, and it's worked wonderfully there ever since.

6. random155

random155 Member

That’s good to know. You haven’t had any issues with that? I have mine behind my nose cone and it doesn’t work there.

7. Zishan

Zishan Member

I put mine vertically in the spot next to the rear view mirror, per someone's suggestion on here. No issues reading my transponder in my 4 months of ownership.

8. Merle

Merle Member

Zero issues with reading the transponder. I have a license plate mount (ugly so not installed) and a signal booster under the nose cone too - but flat out on the parcel shelf in that rear window works just great :)