Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

windshield coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there an additional coating on the winshield for UV or heat reduction? If you look at the edges it looks as if there is. I am getting ready to tint my windows and was wondering if I needed an additional windshield film.

The windshield on the MS is quite extraordinary. The glass does an amazing job of heat rejection and has UV protection as well. Applying a window film to it further enhances that performance.

As for exterior, you can apply a nano coating that will give a more crystal clear vision and provide excellent water/dirt/snow, etc. resistance

Is there an additional coating on the winshield for UV or heat reduction? If you look at the edges it looks as if there is. I am getting ready to tint my windows and was wondering if I needed an additional windshield film.

I did it + pano. Used photosynch and I've done my research before tinting my P85+. There's a whole thread on it here (artsci turned me to this tint and I'm a Huper convert)

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/11032-Model-S-Window-Tinting/page40

Yes, there's a metallic IR rejection layer in the windshield in the Model S so it offers some heat reduction. It's laminated glass, as are all automotive windshields, so it already rejects 99%+ of UV. The panoramic sunroof is the same - IR rejection layer and laminated glass, plus heavily tinted, so heat and UV blocking as well. Alas, the rear hatch glass is just laminated, so only UV.

Many people have a window film applied to the rear hatch glass to gain some heat reduction. Prestige PhotoSync and 3M Crystalline being two popular films on the forum.

Some people go so far as to have film applied to the front windshield, too, to augment its heat reduction.

I had them put the lightest Llumar tint on the front. (windscreen series )
Hardly noticeable, but great heat reduction and doesn't interfere with ez-tag. Did Wincos 40 on the rest.

You can go with a 50% film on your front window. In my experience, most people end up not being happy with anything below that. You can also go with a film called Huper Optik that delivers a very high level of Energy and UV rejection while not having to go very dark with the film itself.

Hi guys. My name is Chris and own All Pro Window Tinting. The answer to your question for a coating to a windshield is yes!!! Whether solar control or something similar to a security film to protect against rocks and airborne damage on the roads. We carry and install both! Let us know if you need a recommended dealer for either option.

I had my sunroof and moon roof done in 5% the rear doors & hatch done in 20% and the front doors in 30%. I didn't do the front windshield because they are real hard on giving tickets out for that. I had 50% Mercedes S550 with all the same as the MS and was constantly getting tickets. But even with our hot south Florida sun my car stays relatively cooler than the MB did

I'm new to windshield coating, but I am wondering - for the side windows, do you use the same percentage coating for all side windows?
Or do you differentiate between front and back? I've just seen some pictures where the side windows on the front where done with 70%, and the rear 30%, and didn't like the look.

Any pro's, cons or advice?

Cheers,

René

No confirmation yet from Tesla about the new windshields having this coating. It's a little annoying that it plays with my Fastrak transponder reception. Will be getting a new windshield because of a crack, so hopefully the new one has an opening somewhere for the signal to go through.