TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Windshield crack + Ameriprise + California

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ps004ynos, Jun 15, 2018.

1. ps004ynos

ps004ynos Member

My luck finally ran out. Suspect a rock from a semi struck the right side of the windshield. Searched the threads re: windshield repair/replacement but have some questions:

1. I'm guessing this one needs a replacement? Initially it caused a 1 inch starburst crater which I took a photo of when I got home. In the time it took for me to park, go in my garage and get leftover windshield sealant, the crater cracked in two directions, about 10 inches in length total. One end gets close to the edge of the windshield.
    2. I have Ameriprise through Costco, in California. Submitted a claim. I spoke to them last year about about glass coverage and they told me it's covered through Comprehensive. I have a $250 deductible. I figure the claim's worth it as it shouldn't affect the premium?
    3. Is part number 1105964-00-B still the good "non ghosting" windshield? I read this from this thread: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/just-had-cracked-windshield-replaced-no-more-ghosting.103541/#post-2446019. I've had ghosting since day 1 but didn't care enough to bother the SC. I also get the rainbow effect along the edges but again too busy to get to the SC.
    4. Better to get a loaner while windshield's on order? I have an appointment this coming Tuesday. Not sure a crack this size is safe to drive with. I've only experienced small cracks with previous cars and I just sealed them myself.
    5. I have a Blackvue dashcam, could possibly get the plate of the truck? Don't bother?

IMG_1992.JPG
    IMG_1993.JPG
    IMG_1998.JPG
    IMG_2013.JPG

2. mmalia

mmalia Member

I have a very similar rock hit on mine. It has not cracked yet though. Just waiting... I did want to ask you though, what has your experience with Ameriprise been like? I've been thinking about switching to them.

3. ps004ynos

ps004ynos Member

From a claims perspective, this would be my first time so we will see.

Rates are good. They periodically send mileage verification forms, very important to fill these out and send them back otherwise they auto update to "standard mileage" which I found were way overstated. E.g. I didn't send in the last one and they "estimated" I would drive my X 35,000/miles a year which pushed my premium up. I called back to verify and the premium dropped back to the prior.

4. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

I screen capture from Tesla app, my mileage, to the State Farm agent. They should all do this.
    Sorry about rock/windshield incident. I've just been lucky 2yrs.

• Like x 1
  5. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

Nobody offered me a loaner while I waited for my windshield and it was literally right in front of my face the crack. :(

• Like x 1
  6. 16fragar

16fragar Member

How long did it take to replace mine model x windshield was crack during transit to the DS was supposed to take delivery Tuesday then they said Saturday and still not fixed

7. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

a month for replacement, but the delay was due to the fact that my service advisor got laid off in that wave of layoffs and my file just disappeared.

• Like x 1
  8. 16fragar

16fragar Member

Oh okay hopefully it comes in tomorrow for i can take delivery this coming week because my DS told me it arrives in 3 Busines days

9. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

the windshields have to be shipped via ground and not air, but seeing how you're relatively close to Fremont the shipment shouldn't take too long.

10. 16fragar

16fragar Member

Yes I’m only 8 hours away

11. ps004ynos

ps004ynos Member

Don’t know if I got lucky but Buena Park had one in stock at my first visit so I left it with them, they gave me a loaner and they replaced it in about two days.

12. 16fragar

16fragar Member

wow I'm still waiting :(

13. ps004ynos

ps004ynos Member

Just to close the loop. Ameriprise's claim process was painless. I paid upfront at tesla, then faxed the tesla invoice to Ameriprise who cut a check minus the deductible. Will have to see if premiums go up.

• Informative x 2
  14. GazUK67

GazUK67 Member

I have one on order, price is $1305 out the door.

15. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

I finally got unlucky, with small rock crack recently. A shop drilled small hole thru the center and filled with epoxy or something. It's not spreading so far.