Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield crack + Ameriprise + California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My luck finally ran out. Suspect a rock from a semi struck the right side of the windshield. Searched the threads re: windshield repair/replacement but have some questions:

1. I'm guessing this one needs a replacement? Initially it caused a 1 inch starburst crater which I took a photo of when I got home. In the time it took for me to park, go in my garage and get leftover windshield sealant, the crater cracked in two directions, about 10 inches in length total. One end gets close to the edge of the windshield.
2. I have Ameriprise through Costco, in California. Submitted a claim. I spoke to them last year about about glass coverage and they told me it's covered through Comprehensive. I have a $250 deductible. I figure the claim's worth it as it shouldn't affect the premium?
3. Is part number 1105964-00-B still the good "non ghosting" windshield? I read this from this thread: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...eplaced-no-more-ghosting.103541/#post-2446019. I've had ghosting since day 1 but didn't care enough to bother the SC. I also get the rainbow effect along the edges but again too busy to get to the SC.
4. Better to get a loaner while windshield's on order? I have an appointment this coming Tuesday. Not sure a crack this size is safe to drive with. I've only experienced small cracks with previous cars and I just sealed them myself.
5. I have a Blackvue dashcam, could possibly get the plate of the truck? Don't bother?

IMG_1992.JPG

IMG_1993.JPG

IMG_1998.JPG

IMG_2013.JPG

I have a very similar rock hit on mine. It has not cracked yet though. Just waiting... I did want to ask you though, what has your experience with Ameriprise been like? I've been thinking about switching to them.

From a claims perspective, this would be my first time so we will see.

Rates are good. They periodically send mileage verification forms, very important to fill these out and send them back otherwise they auto update to "standard mileage" which I found were way overstated. E.g. I didn't send in the last one and they "estimated" I would drive my X 35,000/miles a year which pushed my premium up. I called back to verify and the premium dropped back to the prior.

From a claims perspective, this would be my first time so we will see.

Rates are good. They periodically send mileage verification forms, very important to fill these out and send them back otherwise they auto update to "standard mileage" which I found were way overstated. E.g. I didn't send in the last one and they "estimated" I would drive my X 35,000/miles a year which pushed my premium up. I called back to verify and the premium dropped back to the prior.
I screen capture from Tesla app, my mileage, to the State Farm agent. They should all do this.
Sorry about rock/windshield incident. I've just been lucky 2yrs.

Reactions: ps004ynos
I have a very similar rock hit on mine. It has not cracked yet though. Just waiting... I did want to ask you though, what has your experience with Ameriprise been like? I've been thinking about switching to them.

Just to close the loop. Ameriprise's claim process was painless. I paid upfront at tesla, then faxed the tesla invoice to Ameriprise who cut a check minus the deductible. Will have to see if premiums go up.