Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield crack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My front windshield cracked yesterday on a highway. There was no noise or sound when the rock chip hit the glass.

My insurance is Geico and they recommended a bunch of places for windshield replacement. Tesla service folks also said they can replace it but I need to manually submit the estimate for the reimbursement from insurance.

Folks who replaced the front windshield, can you share your experiences and which place is better?

Location is in the Bay area.

My front windshield cracked yesterday on a highway. There was no noise or sound when the rock chip hit the glass.

My insurance is Geico and they recommended a bunch of places for windshield replacement. Tesla service folks also said they can replace it but I need to manually submit the estimate for the reimbursement from insurance.

Folks who replaced the front windshield, can you share your experiences and which place is better?

Location is in the Bay area.
Did you get Geico to reimburse you in the end?

I have State Farm and when my MB E class got a chip I wanted factory glass replaced by the dealer. The dealer was not in the system so all it took was getting the quote sending it in they cut me a check. I had to pay upfront for replacement. Seems to be a common practice. Had the check in 2 days.

Same thing happened to me as well. Cracked windshield on the freeway. Contacted insurance (American Family Connect aka Costco) and told them I wanted Primer Auto Glass out of the Bay Area to replace my windshield. Facebook group and fellow Tesla owners highly recommended Primer Auto Glass. They came to my house and replaced it in my driveway. After speaking with them, they said Tesla contracts with them to do windshield replacements in their Dublin service center (so they use OEM glass). They showed me how to recalibrate the camera (apparently a really easy process) if the error message showed up, but it didn’t so there was no need. They also pointed out the lack of glue Tesla uses on the glass panels in the factory, and that they find themselves having to add the correct amount of glue often when doing replacements. Also, in replacing my windshield, I was able to get a more straightened windshield with the correct amount of panel gap between the roof and front, as my vehicle was slightly off. I was charged my deductible (thank god, otherwise it’s about $1500). They were in and out in about an hour, really friendly and a family run business.

Attachments

• 0220071D-6ED3-44B5-9418-5067F1B2B644.jpeg
    0220071D-6ED3-44B5-9418-5067F1B2B644.jpeg
    593 KB · Views: 148
  • 6F5263C9-3064-439A-8B8A-D632ECADC62A.jpeg
    6F5263C9-3064-439A-8B8A-D632ECADC62A.jpeg
    842.2 KB · Views: 108
Same thing happened to me as well. Cracked windshield on the freeway. Contacted insurance (American Family Connect aka Costco) and told them I wanted Primer Auto Glass out of the Bay Area to replace my windshield. Facebook group and fellow Tesla owners highly recommended Primer Auto Glass. They came to my house and replaced it in my driveway. After speaking with them, they said Tesla contracts with them to do windshield replacements in their Dublin service center (so they use OEM glass). They showed me how to recalibrate the camera (apparently a really easy process) if the error message showed up, but it didn’t so there was no need. They also pointed out the lack of glue Tesla uses on the glass panels in the factory, and that they find themselves having to add the correct amount of glue often when doing replacements. Also, in replacing my windshield, I was able to get a more straightened windshield with the correct amount of panel gap between the roof and front, as my vehicle was slightly off. I was charged my deductible (thank god, otherwise it’s about $1500). They were in and out in about an hour, really friendly and a family run business.
Interesting....I was also told when my windshield was replaced that there was missing glue. “looked like the factory ran out of glue”

Interesting....I was also told when my windshield was replaced that there was missing glue. “looked like the factory ran out of glue”
Yeah, they said that might be a contributing factor to the amount of wind noise when driving over 65mph, where it’s definitely noticeable. I use a wind noise reduction kit (rubber gasket) on the roof, and with the addition of the right amount of windshield glue, hopefully it makes the ride a little quieter.

Would you be able to elaborate on

They showed me how to recalibrate the camera (apparently a really easy process) if the error message showed up, but it didn’t so there was no need.

Is it just a matter of going into the Controls > Service > Camera Calibration > Clear Calibration ? & then driving it about 25 miles per the manual?

Would you be able to elaborate on

They showed me how to recalibrate the camera (apparently a really easy process) if the error message showed up, but it didn’t so there was no need.

Is it just a matter of going into the Controls > Service > Camera Calibration > Clear Calibration ? & then driving it about 25 miles per the manual?
Yes you are correct. Driving the car about 20/25 miles is supposed to recalibrate itself and the error message should disappear. At least that’s what I was told.

Careful here folks, there is a process to check the camera pitch angle before performing the calibration that has to be done by the SC after a windshield replacement or any shop with access to Tesla’s Toolbox. Most, if not all glass shops as of today do not have access to this procedure. A good glass shop will tell you to go to the SC to have this done after they replace the windshield.

For a vehicle that is on the (supposed) verge of FSD, these procedures should not be glossed over.

Reactions: kashian
Careful here folks, there is a process to check the camera pitch angle before performing the calibration that has to be done by the SC after a windshield replacement or any shop with access to Tesla’s Toolbox. Most, if not all glass shops as of today do not have access to this procedure. A good glass shop will tell you to go to the SC to have this done after they replace the windshield.

For a vehicle that is on the (supposed) verge of FSD, these procedures should not be glossed over.
thanks for the advice. So safest would be to have the service center perform the camera calibration, approximately, how much would this cost? (ballpark figure is ok)