Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield cracked, preheat to Blame?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible that due to snow and the preheat that the windshield cracked?

It’s massive and not sure what the issue could have caused it. I saw no visible emanate prior to tbis.

Attachments

• 3C55A98B-24AC-484A-A720-B4AD5E287A84.jpeg
    3C55A98B-24AC-484A-A720-B4AD5E287A84.jpeg
    471.4 KB · Views: 296
  • 0BDD91FB-A5C7-4E03-8B57-E63CDEA4E45B.jpeg
    0BDD91FB-A5C7-4E03-8B57-E63CDEA4E45B.jpeg
    427.3 KB · Views: 212
So sorry this happened to you; that sucks. Definitely looks like you had a tiny chip that spread into a crack very possibly from going from freezing to hi temp very quickly. I was always worried about that happening, so I usually just turn on pre-heat, and then when at 70° for a bit, I then kick in the defrost car mode.

as weak as Subaru's windshield, hope same windshield lawsuit will go to Tesla as well. .
It’s a chip, that further cracked due to the heat.
Do you have any scientific documentation or proof, that illustrates the glass is “Weak” ?

Or are you just saying this in hopes Tesla is sued, or someone gets a free unwarranted glass repair ?

Forgot to add: within 2 weeks of Tesla MY ownership, car received a stone chip DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE DRIVER!!! Quick trip to glass shop for repair. 13 months, winter cold, summer heat, 22k miles later, the small chip hasn't spread, although it continues to annoy me when light hits it from certain angles.

The thought of the Tesla glass being inferior never occurred to me.

Last edited:
My 2018 Volt had a crack that appeared in probably September of 2020 when we had to clean out our HQ Office (COVID of course). Lived with it for 5 months until I traded it in to CarMax In Feb 2021. Who knew the used market was going to explode. Missed out on at least $5k, but never did replace the windshield.

New MY has a $100 comprehensive deductible. So should cover most glass damage.

I don't see why preheat would be any different than regular heat that you'd use if you're in the car.
In Canada, if your windshield is covered in a layer of snow, and you hit preheat, super hot air is blown fast onto a window super cold from a layer of snow.
Huge temp differences.
Not something you get from regular heating.
You normally don’t have those conditions that make a difference with regular heat.
That being said, I believe most cases where the window cracks, and preheating is blamed, it’s usually from an impact that is hard to see.
I’m not a glass expert, but every car I’ve had where this has happened, including my Tesla, there was a chip found. Some so small it’s hard to see, but it’s there.

I also think most people don’t want to believe it’s a chip, because that takes away the option of free replacement under warranty. ….

Reactions: nate704
In Canada, if your windshield is covered in a layer of snow, and you hit preheat, super hot air is blown fast onto a window super cold from a layer of snow.
Huge temp differences.
Not something you get from regular heating.
You normally don’t have those conditions that make a difference with regular heat.
That being said, I believe most cases where the window cracks, and preheating is blamed, it’s usually from an impact that is hard to see.
I’m not a glass expert, but every car I’ve had where this has happened, including my Tesla, there was a chip found. Some so small it’s hard to see, but it’s there.

I also think most people don’t want to believe it’s a chip, because that takes away the option of free replacement under warranty. ….
I guess you're right... I'm actually from Michigan originally so I have historically started my car with snow on the windshield and had zero issues, although I guess with ICE cars the heat isn't immediately hot until the engine warms up.

I just got a chip early in the month. I tried to "patch" it and it held up well for a few weeks. As soon as it got hotter in the day I started worrying, sure enough went out one evening after the sun had been beating down it while it ws parked and according to Teslafi it hit about 120* inside, it started to crack.
From experience heat does make it crack more, but it's no fault of the car or glass... just happens once you have a chip.