Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Cracked within 2 hours on Delivery Day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got this brand new p3d last week in the tesla delivery centre in HK. And right after I got the car, I drove it to an outdoor car park. And the windshield was cracked under sunlight exposure. The temperature was about 40 degrees celsius. I have sent this picture to the service centre, and the delivery team deny their responsibility to provide free repair service. They told me to wait for the service centre to examine whether the crack is a stress crack or a manufacturing defect. I am not a glass expert, so I want to ask if the crack in the pic looks like a stress crack to you. And what would you do if you were me?

Attachments

• 86752BAE-22B4-489E-B489-98464DF9AEED.jpeg
    86752BAE-22B4-489E-B489-98464DF9AEED.jpeg
    367.3 KB · Views: 412
My Model S had a similar problem a few years back. Parked the car in my garage with no cracks and woke up in the morning with a stress crack the length of the whole window. Tesla Service sent out a 3rd party glass repair service who determined it was a manufacturing defect. Seems, in those days, the windshield had 4 holes in the glass that mated with 4 small pins in the body to align the placement correctly. Oddly enough, 1 of the 4 was not aligned properly so the pin was pressing against the glass and caused the crack. The glass repair company billed Tesla for the new windshield.

Just a heads up, I think "P3D" is a Model S, this is the Model 3 subforum.

Does it actually matter whether the crack is a stress crack or a manufacturing defect? My guess would be that *either way* the service center will need to take care of it.

Sorry for the hassle. I'm sure it'll all work out okay in the end!