Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Cracking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed (couldn't miss it, actually) that when starting out on a cold day (warm cabin, below freezing outside) loud cracking sounds that seem to be coming from the passenger side around the windshield. I've heard this on a number of occasions and am guessing it is the windshield glass contracting from the cold exterior. The cracking sound stops in about 30 seconds.

So far no actual cracks in the windshield!

Should I be concerned about this? Does anyone else notice this?

I've noticed this on my MX but on the driver side towards the bottom of the windshield is where the sound originates. Happens at least once every day. Going over a bump does not trigger it, just randomly will happen. Can be in the first 30 seconds, or it can be after 30 mins and I'm driving down the highway.

I've noticed (couldn't miss it, actually) that when starting out on a cold day (warm cabin, below freezing outside) loud cracking sounds that seem to be coming from the passenger side around the windshield. I've heard this on a number of occasions and am guessing it is the windshield glass contracting from the cold exterior. The cracking sound stops in about 30 seconds.

So far no actual cracks in the windshield!

Should I be concerned about this? Does anyone else notice this?

I have noticed the same things twice in the past year. However my windshields had a small (less than an inch) rock chip (one that had been filled with resin and one that had not been filled) and it lead to major crack in both cases longer than a foot long...
I replaced the windshield each time for $1100-1200 each