TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Windshield Damage

Discussion in 'Model S' started by fallen888, Aug 12, 2018.

1. fallen888

fallen888 Participant

So this just happened. :(
    • Have you ever had to replace a windshield?
    • Did you go to Tesla service center or a 3rd party shop?
    • Did you file an insurance claim? If so, did your premium go up afterwards?
    I have Geico.

IMG_20180812_110825.jpg
    IMG_20180812_103253.jpg

2. Skipdd

Skipdd Member

Yes. I researched the forum to see Pro's and cons of having non-Tesla shop do it. Decided to have Tesla do it because it requires adjustments to front camera. Was $1100. Chose to not go thru insurance. I save insurance for worse issues. Have seen family member lose insurance after multiple claims.

Good luck.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  3. Asterix187

Asterix187 Member

I had a chip/crack like that after 1 month. I bought an epoxy resin windscreen fix kit and it’s almost as good as new. Only took about 30 minutes and cost about $15

4. fallen888

fallen888 Participant

Yeah, I had a small chip before, and insurance co. sent out a glass repair guy to fill it in. But this damage will require a complete glass replacement, I'm pretty sure.

5. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

Funny. I had my windshield replaced 3 times by the Service Center, and the real secret is that they outsourced it to an auto glass company... :)

• Informative x 4
  6. scottycs

scottycs Member

SC doesnt replace glass, they bring someone in to do it....

• Informative x 1
  7. agtdDelirium

agtdDelirium Member

The important thing is that the glass has to come from Tesla and that could take months. Whatever you do, start the process soon.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. alwaysru

alwaysru Supporting Member

Had the same thing happen today - except mine is a ~3" crack on the passenger side. Hoping it can be repaired as opposed to replaced as it's nowhere near my line of vision or the cameras.

9. caltechkid

caltechkid Member

Tesla certified body shop in SD took care of it and sent it to the local SC for calibration, etc. Comp coverage via insurance (Ameriprise), costs are: $815 for the windshield itself, $425 for "triple camera sensor reset", 4+ hrs labor, so almost $2k all in.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  10. fallen888

fallen888 Participant

So I was looking to get a quote on windshield replacement from Safelite, but how do I find out which option is right for my S?
    Screenshot_20180813-215336.png

11. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

You can't rely on the Safelite online estimate. You will need to let them work out with Tesla what the price is. The online estimate will be way low.

My final Safelite estimate was probably about $100 less than Tesla, but not really possible to tell as Tesla would/could not tell me a price for the calibration. Went with Tesla to do the job to avoid having to take it to two places.

Now I'm waiting for the part, and watching the crack grow...

• Informative x 1
  12. berkeley_ecar

berkeley_ecar S 90D (fully loaded) delivered 18 Mar 2017

Ack, what a nasty crack -- sorry this happened to you. I note that it is very close to the lens of your Blackvue dashcam -- did you happen to catch the moment of impact on video?

13. zackmilo

zackmilo 2.2M+ Youtube views on my Model 3

@fallen888

This would be cool to see

14. fallen888

fallen888 Participant

I'm stupid, because I didn't think of looking at the video recording until it was too late - it was already overwritten by new recording. :oops:

15. pinball_player

Here in Mass, we have zero $ deductible for glass damage on the car, and it is part of our comprehensive insurance so they do not raise your rates for glass damage claims.

As to the replacement, I had it done at a auto glass chain here that Tesla recommended. They got the glass from Tesla and did the swap. Very easy.