Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield distortion on Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of the Y (VIN 65xxx) after Tesla replaced a windshield with some scratch damage. The car is great, so much better than the 3 we have ( we like the interior room, overall size, height, weight when driving, and the acceleration)

But here is the issue:

It took me 30 seconds to notice windshield distortion after driving the car off the Tesla lot. Wife noticed it too after she drove it for 5 mins ( without me telling her a thing about this).

It seems to happen in the areas between the front center drive area and the area behind the screen. If I put a large box with letters and lines in front of the car on eye level, move my eye positions, and I can see when the distortion happens and stops.

I am just wondering if anyone else has this issue and how you resolve it? I noticed there was a trend on this under Model 3, and I have not seen anything under the Y trend. Thanks!

I just picked up my Y yesterday, also with VIN 65xxx and noticed that it has multiple areas that were blurry. Mostly in the lower areas but all the way across. Makes me kinda feel sick looking through it. My wife doesn’t see them but friends said they noticed it. I’m not sure what to do either. I did searches about this and some of the posts from Model 3 forum made it sound like it happens and it’s not a concern to Tesla.

Received delivery of my Model Y (VIN 23xxx) in late June and I have noticed a quarter sized distortion in the lower middle part of the windshield nearly next to the windshield wipers. I mentioned it to the service center and they said they couldn't see it. Just seemed they weren't crazy about replacing it even if it was more noticeable. It is a bit annoying but not a deal breaker so at this point in time I haven't pursued it further. Keep us posted on what they end up doing.

I just picked up my Y yesterday, also with VIN 65xxx and noticed that it has multiple areas that were blurry. Mostly in the lower areas but all the way across. Makes me kinda feel sick looking through it. My wife doesn’t see them but friends said they noticed it. I’m not sure what to do either. I did searches about this and some of the posts from Model 3 forum made it sound like it happens and it’s not a concern to Tesla.

park your car in front of a densely grown tree, and see if you can notice the image change when you move your eyes/head. Ours was so obvious that two of Teals team members can see it right away without even need to drive it. They then pulled another Y side by side, and they were able to confirm the obvious difference. Tesla will replace the windshield

I had a distortion in my windshield. It was enough to give me a headache after 10 mins drive. I noticed right after I took delivery. They said to schedule an appointment. Earliest was 2 weeks after delivery. Got it back today. They replaced it. It looks fine. But my issues is I hear more road noice and other vehicles passing by then I did before.
anyone has this issue?

guys my wife's Y windshield just cracked wile driving in front of my house, no rock chips or anything, took out the car from garage and as we drove off it just cracked, No sign of impact on the glass what so ever...... looks like it was defective glass.
car have less than 4K on it.
lets see what happens, we have an appointment next week with Tesla service center

Reactions: Velcade
Took delivery of the Y (VIN 65xxx) after Tesla replaced a windshield with some scratch damage. The car is great, so much better than the 3 we have ( we like the interior room, overall size, height, weight when driving, and the acceleration)

But here is the issue:

It took me 30 seconds to notice windshield distortion after driving the car off the Tesla lot. Wife noticed it too after she drove it for 5 mins ( without me telling her a thing about this).

It seems to happen in the areas between the front center drive area and the area behind the screen. If I put a large box with letters and lines in front of the car on eye level, move my eye positions, and I can see when the distortion happens and stops.

I am just wondering if anyone else has this issue and how you resolve it? I noticed there was a trend on this under Model 3, and I have not seen anything under the Y trend. Thanks!

I had the same issue and noticed something ‘s not right after picked up my car on 9/30. But don’t know what exactly is wrong, all I know is, It’s making me dizzy and headache. So I made my first appointment along with other problems. Dropped off my car on 10/19. Had my car there for almost a month. and when I pick up, the new windshield is even worse. Feels like I am driving on the water. The road is super wavy, So I immediately drove back to SC. Two days later I got the car back again with a replaced windshield on the second time. It’s been about two week, doesn’t seem like the issue is fixed. I am still getting the headache every time I drive it. I just made another appointment on 11/30 with an invoice of $1300. Let’s see what’s gonna happen on the third time.

I had the same issue and noticed something ‘s not right after picked up my car on 9/30. But don’t know what exactly is wrong, all I know is, It’s making me dizzy and headache. So I made my first appointment along with other problems. Dropped off my car on 10/19. Had my car there for almost a month. and when I pick up, the new windshield is even worse. Feels like I am driving on the water. The road is super wavy, So I immediately drove back to SC. Two days later I got the car back again with a replaced windshield on the second time. It’s been about two week, doesn’t seem like the issue is fixed. I am still getting the headache every time I drive it. I just made another appointment on 11/30 with an invoice of $1300. Let’s see what’s gonna happen on the third time.

Would be nice if they could show you the windshield before they put it on the car. If it's distorted, you don't need it in the car to see that. Would save everyone a lot of time.

Reactions: FatherTo1

But here is the issue:

Just got my model Y and both my wife's eyes and mine feel like they're playing tricks. We can't really spot the spot but looking through the window makes us dizzy. Nothing is in focus. We're making an appointment right away..VIN 73XXX

Took delivery of my Model Y a week and a half ago. We noticed distortion along the center of the windshield (horizontally), most apparent when looking at road signs in a moving car.
It's faint but noticeable.
Hoping they will replace it, service appointment in a week. Anyone know if they were strict about 'how much' distortion there had to be before replacing?

Our Y has distortion about one foot in from the right edge. I am going to leave it. Had our Model S windshield replaced for the same reason and the new windshield also exhibited similar distortion. Not worth the hassle, plus I forgot my original S windshield was ceramic coated. I could tell a big difference when cleaning bugs off the non-ceramic coated replacement windshield. :/

Took delivery of my Model Y a week and a half ago. We noticed distortion along the center of the windshield (horizontally), most apparent when looking at road signs in a moving car.
It's faint but noticeable.
Hoping they will replace it, service appointment in a week. Anyone know if they were strict about 'how much' distortion there had to be before replacing?
Follow up, they replaced my windshield! Didn’t seem that strict about distortion levels.

Did they ever fix it for you? I’ve had a model y for 2 months and I can’t drive it with the windshield. Immediately get dizzy with severe eye strain and headaches.