Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield distortion on Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did they ever fix it for you? I’ve had a model y for 2 months and I can’t drive it with the windshield. Immediately get dizzy with severe eye strain and headaches.
Same here. Took delivery of a new Model Y on 9/6 and I get nauseous whenever I drive it. Visible distortion in glass of front windshield. I took it into the service center and they claimed they couldn't see the distortion. Then I came across this thread on Reddit which showed a great way to demonstrate the distortion:

I made another service appointment with photos of the distortion in the windshield. Hopefully they'll do the right thing and replace the windshield this time.

Same here. Took delivery of a new Model Y on 9/6 and I get nauseous whenever I drive it. Visible distortion in glass of front windshield. I took it into the service center and they claimed they couldn't see the distortion. Then I came across this thread on Reddit which showed a great way to demonstrate the distortion:

I made another service appointment with photos of the distortion in the windshield. Hopefully they'll do the right thing and replace the windshield this time.

Did you ever get it replaced by Tesla?

Did you ever get it replaced by Tesla?
I wouldn’t bother. Our Model S had waviness/distortion in the glass. Multiple service center advisors spotted it immediately. Unfortunately, the replacement windshield also has the distortion, LOL. Worse is my original windshield had ceramic coating on it and so I lost that and didn’t really fix the main issue.

Our Model Y windshield was also recently replaced due to a rock on the freeway causing a large crack. The new windshield also exhibits the same distortion. It is a “feature” of Tesla glass. Go ahead and replace it if you still want to, just don’t expect much (if any) improvement.

I wouldn’t bother. Our Model S had waviness/distortion in the glass. Multiple service center advisors spotted it immediately. Unfortunately, the replacement windshield also has the distortion, LOL. Worse is my original windshield had ceramic coating on it and so I lost that and didn’t really fix the main issue.

Our Model Y windshield was also recently replaced due to a rock on the freeway causing a large crack. The new windshield also exhibits the same distortion. It is a “feature” of Tesla glass. Go ahead and replace it if you still want to, just don’t expect much (if any) improvement.
Wow…. I literally get dizzy every time I drive my Tesla.…

Yea, it sucks as once you notice it you can’t unsee it.

I never got headaches from it though. Hopefully you manage to find some relief but it may be a challenge finding a perfect Tesla windshield.
How long ago did you get yours replaced? Did the Tesla service technicians agree that something was wrong with the distortion or did they say that that was normal?

How long ago did you get yours replaced? Did the Tesla service technicians agree that something was wrong with the distortion or did they say that that was normal?
Model S replacement windshield was in March 2021. When I brought it in there were two service advisors that looked through the glass and immediately noticed the waviness. They asked if I had any tint film on the windshield but of course there was none.

Model Y windshield was replaced recently on 8/6/2022 (after a 10-week wait for the part to come in).

Model S replacement windshield was in March 2021. When I brought it in there were two service advisors that looked through the glass and immediately noticed the waviness. They asked if I had any tint film on the windshield but of course there was none.

Model Y windshield was replaced recently on 8/6/2022 (after a 10-week wait for the part to come in).
This sounds like a complete nightmare. I’m seriously considering selling this thing

This sounds like a complete nightmare. I’m seriously considering selling this thing
Here’s an old video I posted of the distortion on the S. It becomes really apparent around the 17 second mark. Sorry about the radio noise at the beginning, I turn it down partway through the video. To me, it looks like there are several distinct creases in the windshield that cause the distortion and the glass isn’t all perfectly curved.

It used to bother me a lot early on but not so much now. I am just disappointed to still see it on new cars, and after two windshield replacements on different models. I still love the Y and would buy Tesla again if we were in the market for another EV. But if it gives you regular headaches then yea that’s understandable to sell.

Last edited:
Reactions: atlchamp