TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Windshield distortion

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MDinFL, Sep 12, 2016.

1. MDinFL

MDinFL Member

I picked up my 2013 CPO P85 on Friday. When we took it for the shakedown run with the DS, I noticed distortion at the base of the windshield. I didn't notice this on the test drive.

Is this normal? I have never experienced a windshield with this kind of noticeable distortion. After I drove it home, I felt a little nauseous and wondered if it was due to my peripheral vision picking up the distortion.

I really like the car on many levels. On other levels, it is behind the 5 year-old BMW I traded in. Not complaining, but I have significant BMW iDrive experience on many iterations. There are things that one would think are simple that are not done, such as email and text display (BT Message Access Protocol).

Thanks to all have posted here. I learned a lot about the car before I got it.

2. cwave1

cwave1 Member

This is normal. It has been in the front windshield design since day 1. I agree that it does bother your eyes if you stare at it but in 3 years of ownership it has not bothered me in daily driving.

3. Ashkenaz

Ashkenaz Member

Very small area of distortion at bottom center of window. It doesn't bother me. Believe it or not, Although I've never seen this in cars before, I have seen it in planes.

4. jfoxny

jfoxny Member

I noticed this on my 2016 car on a long trip last week. I guess it's normal.

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

In almost 3 years of ownership...I have never noticed any distortion in the windshield. But I'm sure if I look really hard I will see it and it will really bother me. ;)

6. bob_p

bob_p Member

I noticed this when I got my car in early 2013, and quickly was able to ignore it.

A larger problem is that Tesla changed the defroster vents several years ago. The original defroster vents were covered by a non-reflective material. That material is gone, and the vents are now exposed - and when I've driving loaners, it's been harder for me to ignore the reflections of the vents in the windshield.

The small distortion at the bottom of the windshield has not been a problem.

7. davidc18

davidc18 Member

8. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I have never noticed this. My windscreen is as clear as can be and better than my previous car, an Acura, FWIW.

9. MDinFL

MDinFL Member

And the rearview mirror distorts flattens things out. An Audi A6 looks like an R8 in the mirror.