TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Windshield exterior protection film?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by AWDtsla, Oct 7, 2015.

1. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Anyone have this? Recommendations? I'm trying to avoid the inevitable pitting the windshield will get from highway driving.

Of course, it must have no tint.

2. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

I have clearplex on my windshield. Runs around $300. I've had it on for 59,000 miles but it's time for a new one. Definitely recommend it's saved me in about 10 places.

3. liuping

liuping Active Member

Does clearplex help with small pitting, or just bigger rocks chips?

My last Model S had what seemed like thousands a tiny nicks in the glass, but only one actual rock chip (which I had repaired)

4. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

That's a decent fraction of the cost of new glass. Which may be $0 if you have no-deductible glass.

5. Terra117

Terra117 Member

A very good point. But insurance will not replace a windshield because it is heavily pitted. You need a genuine crack or chip that will definitely crack in time.

I think windshield protection is for the same folks that put a clear bra on to protect the paint from minor chips.

Personally, it can take me 8 to 10 years to get 60,000 miles on any one car. I like the fact that when it comes time to replace a car, the paint and windshield on it are showroom perfect.