Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Light Ghosting at Night: NO RESOLUTION

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of you may have read about my numerous issues with a new (Apr'16) Model S. Here's the original thread.

One of the issues was a serious windshield issue: at night, bright lights such as tail lights, traffic lights, headlights, and street lamps viewed through the windshield would have a "ghosting effect": you see the light, and a dimmer replica of the light above and below -- essentially you see lights in triplicate. The lighted object itself and ghosts above and below. This is well visible for objects 20 yards or farther, in other words anything bright not immediately in front of you. Many Model X owners reported this issue with their windshields -- see this Model X thread.

After much waiting, the Service Center in Dublin, CA replaced the windshield. The replacement did not solve the issue -- in fact it may have made it slightly worse. When I spoke to my service advisor and then the service manager, they informed me that there is no fix for this, all new Model S and Model X vehicles have this issue, their replacement of my windshield was simply a "let's try this, see if it helps" rather than a deliberate fix or strategy, and in essence I have to live with this.

I wind this totally unacceptable. Before I start ringing Tesla corporate bells, I'd appreciate input. Anyone else having a similar issue? Anyone with this issue actually got it resolved? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Yes, but... There is actually a Wired article about this (see this). According to that article, Tesla Motors stated "We have received only a small number of questions from Model X customers about the windshield and have taken action to address these unique cases." If that's the case, then the service manager gave my inaccurate information (intentionally or not). If he gave me accurate information, then Tesla Motor's made an inaccurate claim quoted in that article. They can't have it both ways.

If that's the case, then the service manager gave my inaccurate information (intentionally or not). If he gave me accurate information, then Tesla Motor's made an inaccurate claim quoted in that article. They can't have it both ways.

Not really--there could be a small group of owners having a problem (neither my wife or I do) and for those folks, there is not a fix.

I wind this totally unacceptable. Before I start ringing Tesla corporate bells, I'd appreciate input. Anyone else having a similar issue? Anyone with this issue actually got it resolved? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Ring up corporate to do what? They obviously can't change the laws of physics in how light refracts. It will probably take until model x 2.0 to redesign the windshield in a way that has less curve. Or maybe never.

I can notice it in my car, but only if I try to look for it. If i'm not trying to look for it, i don't 'see' it. It wouldn't have even occurred to me as an 'issue' if not for these threads.

Maybe the problem is that your windshield is too clean and shiny. The faint haze that is common on most windshields will diffuse the reflections and make them less noticeable.

This is analogous to glossy vs. matte laptop screens. Both reflect the same amount of light, but in very different patterns.

Ring up corporate to do what? They obviously can't change the laws of physics in how light refracts. It will probably take until model x 2.0 to redesign the windshield in a way that has less curve. Or maybe never.

I can notice it in my car, but only if I try to look for it. If i'm not trying to look for it, i don't 'see' it. It wouldn't have even occurred to me as an 'issue' if not for these threads.

It is very obvious in my car. And now that I am aware of it, it is impossible to not see this in every light at night. Corporate - to get a clearer answer. If it's a pervasive issue on the Model S, then they need to come clean about it. If it is not, and most people don't have this issue (or have a far milder version of it), then I'd want mine fixed. Right now they stated publicly that only a small number of Model X's is affected and have not mentioned the Model S at all, and the service manager refuses to take any further action because as he states ALL current Model Ss and Model Xs have this issue. That's trying to have your cake and eat it too.

It is very obvious in my car. And now that I am aware of it, it is impossible to not see this in every light at night. Corporate - to get a clearer answer. If it's a pervasive issue on the Model S, then they need to come clean about it. If it is not, and most people don't have this issue (or have a far milder version of it), then I'd want mine fixed. Right now they stated publicly that only a small number of Model X's is affected and have not mentioned the Model S at all, and the service manager refuses to take any further action because as he states ALL current Model Ss and Model Xs have this issue. That's trying to have your cake and eat it too.

If you deem it to be a safety issue and Tesla is not fixing it then there are other places you can report it. If they deem it to be a safety issue, Tesla will be forced to comply.

Several people in the German Forum have noticed the same: Windschutzscheibe spiegelt im dunkeln extrem • TFF Forum - Tesla Fahrer & Freunde

IMG_5193.jpeg

Hi Guys, I also have issues on my S. had the windshield replaced once, but the second one is also bad, possibly worse, makes me think they are switching them around from people that complain to see if they can get away with it.. night drives are not safe when tons of red LED taillights and other lights are creating a sea of lights everywhere. I had the first one tinted with Photosync and that did not help either. any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Indeed it is. I am switching to the other thread that seems to have significantly more activity, but I'd like to find out... Has any owner actually gotten this resolved by Tesla?

I also have issues on my S. had the windshield replaced once, but the second one is also bad, possibly worse, makes me think they are switching them around from people that complain to see if they can get away with it.. night drives are not safe when tons of red LED taillights and other lights are creating a sea of lights everywhere. I had the first one tinted with Photosync and that did not help either. any other suggestions, luck on your side?

Thanks,