Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield "lines" that won't go away?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So when I have the sun really go through my windshield it's like there's small little lines everywhere. Random directions. Initially I just thought it was dirty but cleaning inside and out doesn't make it go away.

It's almost like there is particulate suspended in the glass (very fine). I can only see it in bright sun through the glass, very difficult to get a picture of.

Is this normal? Or anybody else seen this?

So when I have the sun really go through my windshield it's like there's small little lines everywhere. Random directions. Initially I just thought it was dirty but cleaning inside and out doesn't make it go away.

It's almost like there is particulate suspended in the glass (very fine). I can only see it in bright sun through the glass, very difficult to get a picture of.

Is this normal? Or anybody else seen this?
Do you have an update on this?

Here's how I removed all traces of lines and contaminants. It's a bit of overkill but it does result in crystal clear windshield (sunroof and other glass as well).

Inside:
1: Vigorously clean with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (light pressure if tint/film is installed)
2: Wipe with 3:1 iso and distilled/filtered water using paper towel
3: Wipe with Magic Eraser again
4: Wipe with Perfect Glass using paper towel
5: Finish with microfiber or high GSM detailing towel

Outside:
1: Clean with clay bar and detailing spray
3: Vigorously clean with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
4: Repeat 3:1 iso/water using paper towel
5: Wipe with Magic Eraser again
6: Wipe with Perfect Glass using paper towel
7: Seal with RainX
8: Buff with soft paper towel
9: Finish with microfiber or high GSM detailing towel

Here's how I removed all traces of lines and contaminants. It's a bit of overkill but it does result in crystal clear windshield (sunroof and other glass as well).

Inside:
1: Vigorously clean with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (light pressure if tint/film is installed)
3: Wipe with Magic Eraser again
4: Wipe with Perfect Glass using paper towel
5: Finish with microfiber or high GSM detailing towel

Outside:
1: Clean with clay bar and detailing spray
3: Vigorously clean with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
4: Repeat 3:1 iso/water using paper towel
5: Wipe with Magic Eraser again
6: Wipe with Perfect Glass using paper towel
7: Seal with RainX
8: Buff with soft paper towel
9: Finish with microfiber or high GSM detailing towel
My wife bought some Armor All window wipes at CVS to try in the house. I spied them under the kitchen sink and gave them a try on the M3 windshield. They don’t need much effort. A little pressure on tough spots or some extra rubbing. No wiping off. They do leave some ‘lint’ but that can be quickly dusted off. Probably not as good as your solution but I find very acceptable. Very little work involved which is welcome especially on the difficult lower part of the interior side of the windshield. Also good on the exterior side.

Recently detailed my car as well and noticed the same thing. Tried a glass polish but noticed no change after doing both sides. It’s definitely in the glass and noticeable only when the sun is shining a specific way. Either this is done by design or the glass manufacturing line had an issue. I got my car in September so would be curious if earlier builds have the issue? Also this is only on the side glass.

Recently detailed my car as well and noticed the same thing. Tried a glass polish but noticed no change after doing both sides. It’s definitely in the glass and noticeable only when the sun is shining a specific way. Either this is done by design or the glass manufacturing line had an issue. I got my car in September so would be curious if earlier builds have the issue? Also this is only on the side glass.

We did have the same problem.

My wife bought some Armor All window wipes at CVS to try in the house...Very little work involved which is welcome especially on the difficult lower part of the interior side of the windshield.

Yeah I tried something similar to the wipes but the lint and streaks disagreed with my OCD. I should mention the method above is a one time deal, from there on I just use RainX cleaner/sealant on the outside and Mr. Cleans on the inside (if you haven't tried them, they are amazing for glass esp fingerprints, grease smudge and that annoying thin film that comes out of nowhere.

Was told that it's "normal"

Seems to be their default response these days, for everything from missed deliveries to no paint on the door jambs.

Rubbing alcohol worked great for me. I didn't think it would work because I had thoroughly cleaned my windshield inside out, and I couldn't feel anything on the glass so I thought it was just a defect inside the glass. But I remember removing some adhesive residue before with rubbing alcohol so I thought to give it a try. I think I used 70% isopropyl alcohol, rubbed on it for 5 seconds, and the tiny lines were gone.

So if you haven't tried rubbing alcohol, do give it a try.

So I tried some Sonus Glass polish on a small section which worked with some pretty heavy scrubbing. After doing it, I had an epiphany. Maybe I had just removed my ceramic coating which they applied to my car including side windows. Sure enough when rinsing the window with water it did not cleanly come off like the other section. Not sure if it's a poor ceramic job on the windows but now I need to go back and have them reapply the section I just removed :(

Yeah I tried something similar to the wipes but the lint and streaks disagreed with my OCD. I should mention the method above is a one time deal, from there on I just use RainX cleaner/sealant on the outside and Mr. Cleans on the inside (if you haven't tried them, they are amazing for glass esp fingerprinsmudge and that annoying thin film that comes out of nowhere.

Thanks for the tip. I also was premature in my Armour All review. In certain light I do see residue. I’m going to try the isopropyl next because I have some handy.

Seems to be their default response these days, for everything from missed deliveries to no paint on the door jambs.
Thanks
Yeah I tried something similar to the wipes but the lint and streaks disagreed with my OCD. I should mention the method above is a one time deal, from there on I just use RainX cleaner/sealant on the outside and Mr. Cleans on the inside (if you haven't tried them, they are amazing for glass esp fingerprints, grease smudge and that annoying thin film that comes out of nowhere.