TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Windshield mounted radar detector in refreshed Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Firewired, Jun 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Firewired

Firewired Member

Someone had posted on the other Tesla forum that refreshed cars 2016 and newer no longer had the coating that block radar detector. In my 2014 I tried it everywhere around the rearview mirror to get it, or a garage pass to work and couldn't. I would sure hope this is true. Has anyone tried a detector or I presume toll pass in a newer car with success?

Thanks.

• Informative x 1
  2. Stirthepot

Stirthepot Member

Yes. Both ezpass and my radar detector work fine on my refreshed S

3. BigTonyTones

BigTonyTones Member

I can give my opinion on this. I had a 9500ix that I felt was not working properly in the tesla. It was 7 years old so I thought maybe the sensor was going bad. I upgraded to the passport max 2. Range has been great! I made a custom visor clip and put it on the passenger visor.

4. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

It is the AP2 revision that got rid of the coated windshield. The refreshed AP1 still has the coating. You can tell by looking at the windshield in sunlight for a purple hue.

• Informative x 1
  5. Firewired

Firewired Member

Wow, I absolutely have never seen anyone post about this before! I just traded my 2014 for a new (12/2016) inventory vehicle. I am excited to give my V1 a try and see if it works.

6. chicagoskiguy

chicagoskiguy New Member

I agree that my V1 seems to work just fine in my AP2 Model S (made late October 2016).

I found a local roadside sign, with K band on it. It was nice in that I could park and test. It was unscientific (just using audio alerts and visual alerts) but I was unable to detect a difference between the V1 mounted inside the Model S and holding it outside the window.

7. FloridaGary

FloridaGary Member

I am so glad to hear this. I have a Dec 2015 Model S and the windshield is a pain in the a$$ and blocks any signal. Good to know the next one I buy eliminates this issue.

8. Firewired

Firewired Member

Ok. I tried this the last couple of,days. I will likewise have to find a eminating road sign, my perception was that using my V1 the signal worked but seemed degraded only picking up police around a 1/4 mile out where I was almost literally on them.

9. rory breaker

rory breaker Member

Range not great, AP1 refresh here. Can't trust it, figured it wasn't worth it anymore and took it down.

10. agtdDelirium

agtdDelirium Member

I have a Beltronics STI Magnum in a refresh Model S (10/2016) with AP2. The radar detector is mounted just to the right of the mirror and I see no degradation of sensitivity compared to my prior vehicle. There is a low signal false alert that occurs regularly on my way to work. This occurs at the exact same location in the Tesla as it has always occurred in my prior car. I have noticed no difference in sensitivity.

11. Firewired

Firewired Member

Interesting, I am running AP2 refresh. I will have to try near the mirror.

12. BOOMER7

BOOMER7 Member

Or you could just buy a new aftermarket windshield

13. EXOTIC1

EXOTIC1 Member

I don't know if Tesla replaces the pre 2015 cars with newer non film windshields
    i've heard different stories
    anyone?

14. whitex

whitex Active Member

Park next to a K-band supermarket door opener. Not signal strength while on the windshield, then stick the V1 out the window (use the coiled up wire if you need to) and compare signal strength. my 2013 had a good size metalized coating exclusion next to the mirror, 2015 exclusion is tiny, barely enough for a rfid toll sticker, 2017 seems to not have any coating that reduces RD. See this post for more info (I included a picture of how to tell where your coating on the windshield is, if you have it).

15. prash

prash Member

Any updates? I have a 2017 model S and not sure whether the radar detector would work?

16. whitex

whitex Active Member

Radar Detector Mount

17. Firewired

Firewired Member

I have been using a Uniden R3 to the left of my mirror along the headliner on my 12/2016 S and it works like a charm. I got nothing on my prior 2014 Model S.

18. SDRick

SDRick Member

Using my 9500xi with 6-2016 refresh AP1. May have reduced range but still plenty sensitivity and early warning.

19. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Same with a Bel Pro 500 windshield mount. Worked fine in a late-2014 S, although certainly more sensitive aft than forward, and in the post-refresh (Spring 2017) S, it’s almost too sensitive forward by comparison.

Not complaining however. During a quick trip last week to Avila Beach/SLO, CHP had a tendency to hide just past the apex of hilly curves with their radar pointed aft. I appreciated the extra warning.

• Helpful x 1
  20. prash

prash Member

Has anyone hardwired the radar detector ?