Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield, OEM or Aftermarket. Progressive Ins denied OEM.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't find another thread on this but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Lady ahead of me ran onto shoulder of road kicking stones and cracking my windshield.

I turn in claim to Progressive and glass repair company on conference call, Everything seemed fine until the day install was to happen.

Glass repair installer had OEM replacement glass on truck and was an hour from doing my install.

Then things took an abrupt halt.

Progressive said no to OEM glass and said aftermarket glass only, unless I am willing to pay the $600 difference out of pocket.

The glass installer was recommended by Tesla Service Center and has a lot of OEM. They have not installed or even seen the aftermarket glass.

The glass installation company is going to order one in just to see regardless of how my debate goes with Progressive.

So far, Progressive is not budging on their position.

What are your stories related to mine on replacement glass?

Aftermarket might not play well with AP. I don't even think one exists. Tesla Model S is not a common car.

I have progressive for my Model S. This is very disappointing to hear. I know my service center does glass replacement now on site. I'd rather go and submit the claim and fight them with the insurance regulators rather than deal with a substandard windshield.

Reactions: r1200gs4ok
I’m a little puzzled by the $600 difference. Are we talking $600 to $1200? $1200 to $1800?

I though the service center charged about $1200 with labor. Assuming it’s a 2 hour job, and the labor would be the same, that would mean the difference in price for the part is something like $300 vs $900. Hard to imagine anyone selling an aftermarket windshield that meets Tesla specs for $300 (part price). Worth asking more questions...

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
I’m a little puzzled by the $600 difference. Are we talking $600 to $1200? $1200 to $1800?

I though the service center charged about $1200 with labor. Assuming it’s a 2 hour job, and the labor would be the same, that would mean the difference in price for the part is something like $300 vs $900. Hard to imagine anyone selling an aftermarket windshield that meets Tesla specs for $300 (part price). Worth asking more questions...
change insurance companies

There is aftermarket glass. i got it from safelite many years ago (at a crazy deal when i worked in the industry). Several things of note:

• Safelite argued with me AT LENGTH until i literally promised them I would pay for the service charge if they ordered the wrong windshield... Because they INSISTED that my car had heating elements in the glass. It did not, I didn't have that package.
  • The aftermarket windshield looks fine, but it lacks an antireflective coating, so theres glare from the dash.
  • The aftermarket whindshield does not line up with the clip-in of the under-the-hood panel. Safelite offered to "glue" it into place, but it could have broken the lip on the glass where the groove fits in.
  • Unrelated, but after the rep left... maybe a week or so later i saw a bubble/warp in the glass. Sucks, but I've lived with it for years now.

Tesla OEM glass not that great either!, I have had no issues with my original glass with the replacement I have ghosting issues.. Tesla would not fix it, my insurance AAA cannot argue with them because it is not from one of their approved shops.

There is aftermarket glass. i got it from safelite many years ago (at a crazy deal when i worked in the industry). Several things of note:

• Safelite argued with me AT LENGTH until i literally promised them I would pay for the service charge if they ordered the wrong windshield... Because they INSISTED that my car had heating elements in the glass. It did not, I didn't have that package.
  • The aftermarket windshield looks fine, but it lacks an antireflective coating, so theres glare from the dash.
  • The aftermarket whindshield does not line up with the clip-in of the under-the-hood panel. Safelite offered to "glue" it into place, but it could have broken the lip on the glass where the groove fits in.
  • Unrelated, but after the rep left... maybe a week or so later i saw a bubble/warp in the glass. Sucks, but I've lived with it for years now.
If the aftermarket windshield lacks the anti-reflective coating, does this mean that transponders and what not have an easier time getting through them?

Had my windshield replaced yesterday at Safelite. They ordered OEM glass. Wasn't even a discussion/debate. They ordered glass from Tesla and received it within a few days. Farmers insurance. I payed $100 deductible. Didn't even look at total price charged to insurance company. Safelite made it a very pleasant experience. Dealt with the claim directly. I did choose to go to one of their locations rather than their remote service (prefered they had access to all possible bells and whistles), but I think they could have done it remotely.

Before going to Safelite, I had tried the Tesla service center route. Much more painful experience. Was able to book with app, but Tesla doesn't work directly with any insurance companies and I couldn't even get ahold of a service center employee in advance of appointment to get a written quote for Farmers, which they required prior to having work done.

I wouldn't settle for non-OEM.

Good luck!

Reactions: Toppatop55
I don't know if its different state by state but here in CT, the insurance companies are required to repair your vehicle to the spec and condition which it was prior to the claim incident. I had the same issue with my Audi many years ago. Triple A (AAA) tried that crap of only installing after market. I threatened to sue them because it was not stated anywhere in my contract and I argued that my car wasn't built with after market parts. When they argue that the after market glass was as good as the OEM, I told them I would accept it if the Audi dealer agreed and agreed to install it. Need less to say the dealers only install OEM due to quality concerns. After a couple days back and forth, they gave in and replaced with OEM. A week later I switched insurance and made sure the new company verified replacement parts would be OEM in case of needed repair.

That's odd. Had my windshield cracked a year ago, progressive paid for OEM. They originally ordered a non-OEM, the shop told me (Safelite), I said nope, called progressive, they said they'd pay for OEM -- no questions asked.

PA law allows you to select any repair place. Select Tesla. they will only use Tesla parts. I hope you find similar in your state. You pay for insurance, don't let them bully you.

I hate insurance companies. you pay and pay and pay, then when you need them... good luck.

I just had my windshield replaced a few months ago by Tesla. I have StateFarm and they said their policy is to use aftermarket glass, but they couldn't find anyone who makes aftermarket glass for the Model S, so they paid the $1400 Tesla charged to replace my windshield.

That's odd. Had my windshield cracked a year ago, progressive paid for OEM. They originally ordered a non-OEM, the shop told me (Safelite), I said nope, called progressive, they said they'd pay for OEM -- no questions asked.

FWIW I have $0 deductible on all glass for my Model 3 with AAA. There is just too much expensive glass and I wanted to dodge any issues with OEM vs. other suppliers.

I did go to the Tesla Service Center expecting them to do the windshield work in Tempe. They said that they do not do it and gave me a business card to the shop that does.

I never saw the price for the OEM windshield/install and I have a $0 deductible. The car is not a lease and is pre-AP and apparently there is an aftermarket supplier.

Went to my insurance broker and complained. He called Progressive and they gave him a stone wall. He said that he will talk to his local Progressive representative to ask them to make me whole. I will have to wait a few days for that to happen and see what the results are.