Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield part number

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 ap1 model x I need the new part number to resolve ghosting issue. I know it is in the forum but there is 51 pages to read and maybe some already knows the correct part number to help out. Thanks in advance.

https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/66206
MX WSHLD ASSEMBLY MONO-CAM LHD HWA K4D-3 WEDGE
1106012-00-B

I'm not sure it will resolve the ghosting issue though. AP1s and AP2s have a different part number. I believe the majority of ghosting issues were on AP1 cars.

We have the ghosting issue on our AP2 Model X built in 2016. Been having a rough time getting the windshield replaced under warranty. So far 2 service centers tell me that the windshield is in spec but it's getting difficult to drive at night without getting a headache from the double vision. If anyone has some pointers on how to get them to replace the part please feel free to let me know.

I tried the escalation process the other day and their response was that since he couldn't see my vehicle we need to trust what the service center said. I respectfully asked what the purpose of the escalation process was for if their response was going to be trust the service center.

Sorry if this is a rant but this windshield issue has bugged me for 2 years. It's rough reading how some owners have been able to get them replaced with no issue while others have not. I almost feel like I'm being gas-lighted as they've told me they don't notice an issue whenever other people have ridden in our vehicle and even expressed a concern about it.

We have the ghosting issue on our AP2 Model X built in 2016. Been having a rough time getting the windshield replaced under warranty. So far 2 service centers tell me that the windshield is in spec but it's getting difficult to drive at night without getting a headache from the double vision. If anyone has some pointers on how to get them to replace the part please feel free to let me know.

I tried the escalation process the other day and their response was that since he couldn't see my vehicle we need to trust what the service center said. I respectfully asked what the purpose of the escalation process was for if their response was going to be trust the service center .....snip......
we gave up with the BS/run around, & discovered a product that someone on the forum recommended. It's a polarizing film called photosync. It was expensive, $800 for the product & insulation but it reduced the ghosting by more than ¾. So now, instead of seeing two very distinct sets of porch lights, stop lights, oncoming car headlights & the like we only see one slightly blurry set. Funny how the SC is still directed by corporate to tell us they don't have a fix for it yet, just like the vibrating ½ shafts, & the yellow border around the screen, but hey don't worry, because we were assured that someday maybe in 2 MORE years - they'll have a fix. It's good to be the only game in town.

Last edited:

I tried the escalation process the other day and their response was that since he couldn't see my vehicle we need to trust what the service center said. I respectfully asked what the purpose of the escalation process was for if their response was going to be trust the service center.

Sorry if this is a rant but this windshield issue has bugged me for 2 years. It's rough reading how some owners have been able to get them replaced with no issue while others have not. I almost feel like I'm being gas-lighted as they've told me they don't notice an issue whenever other people have ridden in our vehicle and even expressed a concern about it.

I came across this article and found myself thinking...is ghosting a safety issue? Is the dreaded shudder? Idk...

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-to-possibly-force-a-recall-on-your-car-1830938474

we gave up with the BS/run around, & discovered a product that someone on the forum recommended. It's a polarizing film called photosync. It was expensive, $800 for the product & insulation but it reduced the ghosting by more than ¾. So now, instead of seeing two very distinct sets of porch lights, stop lights, oncoming car headlights & the like we only see one slightly blurry set. Funny how the SC is still directed by corporate to tell us they don't have a fix for it yet, just like the vibrating ½ shafts, & the yellow border around the screen, but hey don't worry, because we were assured that someday maybe in 2 MORE years - they'll have a fix. It's good to be the only game in town.
Dang $800? that's rough but if it helps I'll add it to the list of things to look into. I've had some recent issues with the service centers. Having an issue with the HVAC system and one service center a couple months ago said they couldn't find anything wrong. Took it to another SC a couple months after that because it was still causing problems and they found some ground faults I guess in the wiring. I suppose it's just the luck of the draw as far as who is good and who isn't. Makes me dislike the response of "trust the Service Center Technicians" even more. We used to live near St. Louis and had nothing but great service from their center so it's all over the board.