Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

windshield pitting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a roadtrip to Southern California where my MYP was hit by strong winds blowing desert sand at 30mph+. After washing the car a few times there are still thousands of tiny white dots left on the windshield (lesser impact on passenger side windows). Below is a picture I took from inside of the car with flashlight lighting up from outside. It looks like the Milky Way! When I tried use my fingernail to scratch them off i couldn't feel anything. Has anyone experienced this before and what are my options now? should I replace the windshield immediately?

Capture.PNG

Reactions: blissdancer
I have the same problem (car is pre-owned, came like this). I've tried everything I can think of, including clay bar and windshield repair kit with no luck. Let me know if you find anything short of replacement. The quote for replacement from Tesla was around $1500.

I took a roadtrip to Southern California where my MYP was hit by strong winds blowing desert sand at 30mph+. After washing the car a few times there are still thousands of tiny white dots left on the windshield (lesser impact on passenger side windows). Below is a picture I took from inside of the car with flashlight lighting up from outside. It looks like the Milky Way! When I tried use my fingernail to scratch them off i couldn't feel anything. Has anyone experienced this before and what are my options now? should I replace the windshield immediately?

View attachment 811997
Yes I am having the same issues. I have tried everything suggested on the internet regarding this problem. Nothing works. I had a Prius V for 12 yrs that went through many desert wind/sand storms but this never happened in that car. I hear it is the more high end cars that have this issue. Can the windshield be professionally buffed to fix this? If anyone has any solution please let me know. Thx

Use Barkeeper's Friend. Make a paste with a little water and see if this scrubs off. Flush with clean water. If not, it's just sandblasted due to highway driving. Happens over time.
Happens over time? I have owned many cars and this has never happened before. I drove a Prius for 12 yrs in desert storms etc but never had anything like this. It is so thick that it is becoming a safety hazard.