Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #27 is available now with topics time-stamped. We discussed: Consolidation in LiDAR manufacturers; Volvo EX90 shipping with LiDAR; FSD Beta Full Release in N.A.; FSD detecting autopilot cheats, Gwen Shotwell directly overseeing SpaceX Starship; and more. You can watch it now on YouTube. We should have it published to podcast networks shortly.

Windshield repair

WilliamG

Hinge Fanatic
Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
I have a small pea-sized bubble in my windshield from a flying stone. I was quoted $50 to repair it. Is this a good price or should I make a claim through my insurance (State Farm) and possibly risk a rate increase.

Generally speaking, a comprehensive claim like this (which windshield are) won't affect your insurance premiums at all.

Reactions: GuyDude
I have a small pea-sized bubble in my windshield from a flying stone. I was quoted $50 to repair it. Is this a good price or should I make a claim through my insurance (State Farm) and possibly risk a rate increase.

Your rate shouldn’t be affected by this type of comprehensive glass claim. I’ve had this happen a few times on previous cars, never an issue (Geico).

holmgang

Sep 9, 2019
eu
I also had a small windshield chip with my last car. Insurer said, for an acrylic fill repair (probably cost $50 or so), they'll cover it all. For a full screen replacement, it'll trigger a claims and increase my rates.

I opted for the fill done by the dealership. In some instances it's seamless and invisible. In my case it was quite obvious and really annoying. I'd probably replace the windscreen if it happened again.

Mrcarcrazy

In need of a shrinking gun to zap a plaid with.
May 22, 2019
South Padre Island, Tx
Yes that’s a reasonable price to fix a rock chip.

it’s over double that price here. So I went the DIY route. It actually turned out phenomenally. I’ve had pros do it and not turn out this nice.

I only had M3 a couple of weeks when on freeway I actually saw the tennis ball sized rock bounce off the road hit the passenger side of screen and over the top of the car around 70kph, the noise was loud, I felt for sure a new screen, I pulled over and inspected, I thought that was lucky only a tiny chip so I bought the repair kit and got home to DIY but as I cleaned the glass there was no chip just a bit of sand off the rock, lucky or what.
next day I got screen cover added

Mrcarcrazy

In need of a shrinking gun to zap a plaid with.
May 22, 2019
South Padre Island, Tx
I only had M3 a couple of weeks when on freeway I actually saw the tennis ball sized rock bounce off the road hit the passenger side of screen and over the top of the car around 70kph, the noise was loud, I felt for sure a new screen, I pulled over and inspected, I thought that was lucky only a tiny chip so I bought the repair kit and got home to DIY but as I cleaned the glass there was no chip just a bit of sand off the rock, lucky or what.
next day I got screen cover added
I hope you bought a lottery ticket too. Wow.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC