Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a small pea-sized bubble in my windshield from a flying stone. I was quoted $50 to repair it. Is this a good price or should I make a claim through my insurance (State Farm) and possibly risk a rate increase.

Your rate shouldn’t be affected by this type of comprehensive glass claim. I’ve had this happen a few times on previous cars, never an issue (Geico).

I also had a small windshield chip with my last car. Insurer said, for an acrylic fill repair (probably cost $50 or so), they'll cover it all. For a full screen replacement, it'll trigger a claims and increase my rates.

I opted for the fill done by the dealership. In some instances it's seamless and invisible. In my case it was quite obvious and really annoying. I'd probably replace the windscreen if it happened again.

I have a small pea-sized bubble in my windshield from a flying stone. I was quoted $50 to repair it. Is this a good price or should I make a claim through my insurance (State Farm) and possibly risk a rate increase.
Yes that’s a reasonable price to fix a rock chip.

it’s over double that price here. So I went the DIY route. It actually turned out phenomenally. I’ve had pros do it and not turn out this nice.

I only had M3 a couple of weeks when on freeway I actually saw the tennis ball sized rock bounce off the road hit the passenger side of screen and over the top of the car around 70kph, the noise was loud, I felt for sure a new screen, I pulled over and inspected, I thought that was lucky only a tiny chip so I bought the repair kit and got home to DIY but as I cleaned the glass there was no chip just a bit of sand off the rock, lucky or what.
next day I got screen cover added

I only had M3 a couple of weeks when on freeway I actually saw the tennis ball sized rock bounce off the road hit the passenger side of screen and over the top of the car around 70kph, the noise was loud, I felt for sure a new screen, I pulled over and inspected, I thought that was lucky only a tiny chip so I bought the repair kit and got home to DIY but as I cleaned the glass there was no chip just a bit of sand off the rock, lucky or what.
next day I got screen cover added
I hope you bought a lottery ticket too. Wow.

I have State Farm and the agent gave me the name of a glass business they use, Insurance covered it, zero cost to me. It pays them to cover that instead of replacing the windshield soon because of a crack that propagated.