Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield replacement $1300+? Seriously?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new front windshield glass manufacturer for the refresh 2021 (AGP) developed it for reduced drag, and optical properties 2 to 3 times standard glass windshields. Their Camera View Plus system acts as the final optical lens for the Tesla cameras' view through the windshield. Hype or advancement? Musk has been working with them for years to develop special glass, including the Cybertruck "indestructible" glass - still a work in progress. :) Interesting glass progress.

The new front windshield glass manufacturer for the refresh 2021 (AGP) developed it for reduced drag, and optical properties 2 to 3 times standard glass windshields. Their Camera View Plus system acts as the final optical lens for the Tesla cameras' view through the windshield. Hype or advancement? Musk has been working with them for years to develop special glass, including the Cybertruck "indestructible" glass - still a work in progress. :) Interesting glass progress.
Cool info. I would guess the final "lens" is more a final window. I don't think you'd want the windshield to be part of the imaging system and an actual lens. The windshield would add aberrations and distortions and all that would want to be minimized or optimized, I would assume.

Cool info. I would guess the final "lens" is more a final window. I don't think you'd want the windshield to be part of the imaging system and an actual lens. The windshield would add aberrations and distortions and all that would want to be minimized or optimized, I would assume.
They are in final stages of a 3D Head Up Display imaging system for windshields. Wondering if displaying the FSD visualization in a moving 3D display you look through corresponding to real objects identified in your view might be possible? Also variable transparency of the glass roof would be nice.

I got a big crack on my tesla m3 windshield so I made a SC appointment. Day before the appointment I got a message in the tesla app saying my appointment had been cancelled by tesla because they "don't fix windshields".... what the ****. for reference this is in austin tex.

I am from the Model S forum, but I saw this thread. Tesla says: "Caution: If a windshield replacement is needed, take your vehicle to Tesla Service. This will ensure appropriate handling and mounting of the camera(s). Failure to do so can cause one or more Autopilot features to malfunction." In addition, you can use the Camera Calibration feature to recalibrate the cameras (Service> Camera Calibration), assuming the windshield mounting is not too far off specifications.

Called my service center today.. and they told me to take it to satellite.. they don't do windshield repair. This is Wilmington DE.

I see safelite charged me/ins-company 500 for "camera calibration" even though the calibration feature is within the vehicle service menu and doesn't require any special tooling except the touch of your finger.
I assume the cameras can't just be on the windshield, but must be calibrated when installed. The user calibration feature is for fine tuning the cameras, not for installing them. I had no idea there may be a separate charge.

I don't have any thoughts on the cost, but I do agree Safelite is not very helpful with Teslas. Glad you got yours fixed, and that's interesting about not having to calibrate the cameras. Will be interesting to hear other folk's thoughts.

I picked up a small surface chip on the passenger side on my 2-week old Model Y, high enough so it wasn't in the passenger's view. Couldn't schedule with the website, finally found a number to call and got an appointment set up 3 days out and was quoted a charge of $131. On the day of the appointment, they said they didn't want to do anything because it was a surface chip and wouldn't spread, but at least they didn't charge anything.

After a few days of my eyes constantly being drawn to the chip (others couldn't really see it, but I knew it was there). I ordered a Rain-X chip repair kit for $11 and fixed it myself. I didn't trust that the chip wouldn't turn into a crack. Only problem I had was trying to cure the resin because it was cloudy out and black lights didn't do the job. The next day it was sunny enough and it cured in 15 minutes. A bit of glass polish and it's hard enough to see that it doesn't bother me anymore.
The “Safelite wasn’t helpful” thing must’ve changed since then because they fixed a dime-sized chip in my windshield just a few weeks ago. I set up an appointment online, and the same day, was in and out within an hour. Can’t even tell there was any damage at all unless you’re really looking for it and are hell bent on finding it. Fast, friendly, professional service.