Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Replacement Advice - Boston Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tesla Community,

Hoping for some help on two questions

Two questions:
  1. I have a 10" crack on my Model 3 windshield. I live in Back Bay (Boston).
  2. After the windshield install, do I have to take the car back to Tesla to re-calibrate the windshield camera?
Thanks!

Best,
Graham

Hi Tesla Community,

Hoping for some help on two questions

Two questions:
  1. I have a 10" crack on my Model 3 windshield. I live in Back Bay (Boston).
  2. After the windshield install, do I have to take the car back to Tesla to re-calibrate the windshield camera?
Thanks!

Best,
Graham
No. Safelite can replace the windshield without going back to Tesla. The caveat is, they are dependent on Tesla for the parts. So you may be waiting a while.

My Model Y took 3 months to repair last summer in the Boston area.

BTW, for people with just a chip, SafeLite can fill it instead of replacing the windshield. I've had this done, for a chip they can come very quickly and they get it done in about 30 minutes. I don't notice the repair at all. You should call them as soon as the chip appears, you don't want to ignore it because the chip can turn into a crack and then you are dependent on getting a windshield from Tesla which can take months as Glide mentioned (the Safelite gal told me the same thing, replacement Tesla windshields take months).

Windshields may not be delayed by months anymore. I called Today's Collision in Malden a couple of weeks ago after seeing them recommended in another thread here and the windshield they ordered for me came within 10 days. I'd imagine Safelite and others are getting them similarly quickly now.