Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield replacement - camera reconfiguration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Windshield is being replaced by Safelite and the representative said that the front camera may need to be reconfigured at my Tesla service center. I would generally just make a phone call to confirm, but we all know that is not how Tesal service works.

Anyone else go through this experience that can confirm a visit to the service center will be needed? I guess I can open a radon glass service request on the app and see what happens. Not looking to take up a service time slot for someone else if not needed.
Thanks.

Has the guy specifically replaced the windshield on a Tesla? I only ask, becuase on my Infiniti, it DOES say in the owners manual, that when the windshield is replaced, the camera must be calibrated by the dealer. The Service Manual shows the procedure, basically using marks on a wall, etc.... But the front camera in my Infiniti is mounted to the glass, on the tesla I think they are mounted to the roof. But in either case, I found this thread, where Tesla said recalibration was NOT necessary unless you get an error message. It does say it could take up to 50 miles to recalibrate

Reactions: TheShadowKnows
Upvote 0
Windshield is being replaced by Safelite and the representative said that the front camera may need to be reconfigured at my Tesla service center. I would generally just make a phone call to confirm, but we all know that is not how Tesal service works.

Anyone else go through this experience that can confirm a visit to the service center will be needed? I guess I can open a radon glass service request on the app and see what happens. Not looking to take up a service time slot for someone else if not needed.
Thanks.
Yes, camera needs to be recalibrated.

Reactions: C-Bus Y
Upvote 0
Has the guy specifically replaced the windshield on a Tesla? I only ask, becuase on my Infiniti, it DOES say in the owners manual, that when the windshield is replaced, the camera must be calibrated by the dealer. The Service Manual shows the procedure, basically using marks on a wall, etc.... But the front camera in my Infiniti is mounted to the glass, on the tesla I think they are mounted to the roof. But in either case, I found this thread, where Tesla said recalibration was NOT necessary unless you get an error message. It does say it could take up to 50 miles to recalibrate

Take it to Tesla Service for camera recalibration

Reactions: C-Bus Y
Upvote 0
That's exactly what Safelite said to me, though I may be waiting for it to be done. Tesla said about a month to come in on a chip that since has spread to over one half the glass.

The Glass is the problem for me, though it does say, recalibration will be necessary. So right now both appointments are on, Glass says a week, but am not holding my breath.

Upvote 0