Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Replacement Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week, a previously repaired rock chip turned into a full-blown crack making its way across my windshield. I called around and the local Safelite won't deal with Tesla any more, and the glass place I finally found has told me to expect a 4-6 week wait for a new windshield.

I'm wondering what experience the rest of you have with replacing a Model 3 windshield. Is there any way to speed up this process? Are there other shops that can get windshields in more quickly? I understand that the service centers won't do windshields any more, either.

This is Bay Area, in the East Bay.

Same issue up here in Eugene, OR. Rock chip over the front windshield camera, turned into a 3ft long crack. I've been waiting for Safelite to get a windshield since 5/17, about 5 weeks now. :(

I'm in Michigan. Service center in Toledo, or Cleveland. AND Safelite. I've been waiting about 7 weeks for a windshield. All of my appointments keep getting cancelled. I have a 2+ ft. long crack. Believe it or not, I damaged my bumper and had it replaced in the meantime waiting for my glass! Only took 3 weeks for bumper.

AAA offers Full Glass Coverage for about $80 per year. Zero Deductible. Tesla Windshield replacement was simple to schedule on the Tesla.app. About 3 days before the service, they confirmed over TEXT and emailed a quote (about $1,000 for parts and labor).

Use the quote to get AAA to pre-appoval the cost before heading into the service appointment.

Once the service is performed, you have to pay in advance from your CC. Then you will submit the paid invoice to AAA for a check to re-imbursement of your cost.

AAA will mail a check to you in about 2 weeks.
Does that cover the glass roof too? Is the $80 an add on to existing policy you have with them or is a completely separate item (I.e can I just go in and get glass insurance but keep my existing Geico policy)?

Turns out the message about not doing glass was in regards to the Fremont service center. I also made an appointment at Dublin, and then got a message saying that the windshields are backordered and will take a month to get in. Now I've made an appointment with the Santa Clara center next Monday. We'll see if they say they're out of windshields too.

Does that cover the glass roof too? Is the $80 an add on to existing policy you have with them or is a completely separate item (I.e can I just go in and get glass insurance but keep my existing Geico policy)?

I'm pretty sure you have to have the rest of their coverage in order to get the glass. But you should consider AAA; they've been very good about covering claims. They're probably more expensive than Geico, but I'd gladly pay a little extra to not have to fight with a company for coverage I'm owed.

Turns out the message about not doing glass was in regards to the Fremont service center. I also made an appointment at Dublin, and then got a message saying that the windshields are backordered and will take a month to get in. Now I've made an appointment with the Santa Clara center next Monday. We'll see if they say they're out of windshields too.
Santa Clara is top notch!

In Texas and called Safelite on a Thurs. They ordered the glass and had it in by the following Tues and we scheduled for the following Friday. They wouldn't replace off site, but I showed up and two hours later they were finished. It might have taken longer if I'd have gone through insurance. $1100 out the door. Tesla repair was a further drive, and figured I might have to leave the car, so I didn't try them. The car drove far on the left side of the lane for the first 40 or so miles. The next time I drove, it was re-centered, so I didn't bother calling about calibration.

Window went in last week. And I checked the dates. Actually they called on Tues and replaced on Monday morning (their first available appointment). When I spoke to Safelite on Thurs, June 6 they said less than a week to get in the windshield. I was really nervous after reading the boards, but they were right.

Last edited:
I got my windshield replaced Friday at the Torrance SC. The grand total was $1030.00.

I was pretty impressed with the whole experience. I made the appointment on the app on Monday morning, they had a spot available Friday afternoon (the first day I could get there) and they messaged me on Tuesday letting me know they could do it earlier if I had time. When I arrived they gave me a $200 Uber voucher for the day and then had the repair completed that afternoon.

My only complaint is that they didn’t wash the glass after they installed it which is pretty lame. They also left a bit of installation debris in the car but I brushed it off the dash. The autopilot took a day and a half to recalibrate and hugged the right side of the lane until it fixed itself.

All in all a good experience. Good availability, part in stock, quick turnaround.
They didn't wash my windshield either. When I pickup my car, there are 3 pieces blue plastic tape taped the top of the windshield and the middle glass roof together, they told me keep them there for 48 hours, and don't wash my car within 72 hours.

Quick datapoint-

Made appointment via app for windshield replacement evening of Thursday June 20th, for a June 26th appointment date (earliest date available at Raleigh SC).

Dropped it off at 11:30 AM on the 26th, was given an AP1 S85D loaner to take home for the night, and car was done about 10 AM the next day.

Costs broke down as:
$367.50 labor
$585.00 parts
$69.05 tax
Total of $1021.55

Which I'll be getting fully reimbursed for by USAA since I have a $0 deductible on comprehensive coverage.

Oh- they also had a VIN-related service bulletin they did for adding 2 shims to the frunk for some reason done free via warranty and added to the work by them (I was unaware of it previously).

They also wanted to add a dual motor badge but I specifically instructed them not to, and they actually noted that and listened. They did physically give me the badge to take home though.

So pretty happy with my (so far only) Tesla service experience.

Reactions: jeniferkey
First of all, thanks everyone here for your help. I learned a few things:
1. Some service centers replace glass, but others don't, even in the same metro area.
2. Some service centers will tell you that it'll take a month to get a new windshield, and not give you any other options, while others (in the same metro area) will replace it in a few days.
3. Service centers won't look at your appointment and service request until your appointment is a few days away. At that point they may tell you to just go away and cancel your appointment.
4. Make a bunch of service appointments and go with the first one that verifies that they're ready for you. It looks like you can only make one appointment at a time from the app, but you can make more on the web page.
5. Once you finally get in, the experience is fairly good.

AAA offers Full Glass Coverage for about $80 per year. Zero Deductible. Tesla Windshield replacement was simple to schedule on the Tesla.app. About 3 days before the service, they confirmed over TEXT and emailed a quote (about $1,000 for parts and labor).

Use the quote to get AAA to pre-appoval the cost before heading into the service appointment.

Once the service is performed, you have to pay in advance from your CC. Then you will submit the paid invoice to AAA for a check to re-imbursement of your cost.

AAA will mail a check to you in about 2 weeks.
Is this AAA plan part of AAA car insurance or is it roadside service AAA.

I had a big rock hit windshield at end of June. Bummer. Started with my insurance and was going to get Safelite over to my house to replace it (Maybe - parts unknown). Was worried about the calibration part, so call the Tesla shop. Learned the mobile guy cannot calibrate cameras and I would need to drive the 3.5 hours to the service center (with no cruise-autoanything). Yuck. They work with a place out of Oregon City to do the glass, so I had to go through Safelite to switch to them (anyone feel Safelite is a monopoly?). This place was luckily affiliated with Safelite, but I couldn’t switch to them through the website, had to call. Now they will meet us at Tesla shop and the camera calibration is done in tandem with the replacement. Only issue: national shortage of windshields and UNKNOWN when we will schedule a replacement. Crack continues to grow on passenger side, up to about 16 inches now. Oh well. At least I have a $0 deductible for this stuff. Hope I can get the new FSD computer while I’m over there in the shop

Update on mine, total cost was ~$813 but Progressive has the $0 Glass Deductible, glad I opted for that since I heard Tesla glass was $$$. It took 3 weeks to get the windshield in, notes on the service order said "ORDERED REPLACEMENT - ORIGINAL BROKEN ON LOADING"... Ugh! No wonder it took so long. I get the call from Safelite here in Eugene and drop my car off, they said it was going to be an all day job, took them about 6 hrs before I got to pick it up. I got no calibration warnings, autopilot actually drives better now since the crack ran down the left side of the camera, car would favor the left side and now it drives dead center. Only complaint would be that the headliner looks dirty now, need to figure out how to clean that up.

I noticed a crack in my windshield on July 14th, I was able to schedule an appointment through the app for July 30th. I picked up my car on the 2nd, but they were also looking into an issue with the speakers popping occasionally. The cost was $900 +tax for me.

I just got my windshield replaced at Santa Clara SC. They have it in stock and $987.65 total.
That's weird. I just had my windshield replaced a few weeks ago at the same Tesla Service Center in Santa Clara and the total was $1164.15 (after tax). $585 for the windshield, $19.50 for the "forward facing camera pre-calibration", $97.50 for the "drive cycle calibration" on the camera with total labor coming to $526.50.

Same car model, same service center, and same month but a difference of $176.50. Perhaps the moon was in a different phase?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: C141medic