Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield replacement / GEICO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A rock hit my windshield a few days ago and made a nickel to quarter sized crack. Not in my line of sight. A Tesla approved body shop gave me a price of $1700 to replace. Does the camera have to be calibrated after replacement? Can they do it or does Tesla have to? Also, does anyone know if GEICO will raise my premium? Windshields are part of comprehensive.

Tesla approved body shops should usually have the calibration box setup. Not sure if all of them do, but the one in ATX does. Yes, it should technically require a calibration (some people have said it doesn't? kind of unclear). It will probably raise your rates, but not much.

If it's small enough, and not very bothersome for line of sight, why not get a resin fix? Those usually cost less than $100. It won't look perfect but if you're going to be out a deductible...

So depending on your states laws, you may not have to pay anything for your windshield replacement.
In Florida insurance companies are required by law to replace them free of charge.

Florida Statute 627.7288 requires auto insurers in Florida to replace or repair their policy holders damaged windshield with zero deductible, or, in other words, for “free.”

Check your states laws and if this is the case I would take it to Tesla then they can make sure cameras are aligned properly and calibrated.

I'm in NJ so I don't believe they have the free replacement law. I wouldn't mind trying to fix it. My deductible is $500 so $100 is better. I haven't called GEICO yet. How would I go about seeing if it was fixable? Call GEICO or Tesla?

Call Geico unless you want to pay full price out of pocket. I live in Arizona and windshield replacements are so common insurance companies don't even bat an eyelash when it happens. I have State Farm which of the insurance companies I have had were the most seamless when it came to claims and not raising my rates

A rock hit my windshield a few days ago and made a nickel to quarter sized crack. Not in my line of sight. A Tesla approved body shop gave me a price of $1700 to replace. Does the camera have to be calibrated after replacement? Can they do it or does Tesla have to? Also, does anyone know if GEICO will raise my premium? Windshields are part of comprehensive.
Have you tried to see if it's repairable? GEICO has glass repair for free.