Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield replacement in LA county, Model 3, case in progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While driving on a busy freeway near San Jose, a UFO (pebble) hit the passenger side of my M3 windshield. I was trying to get a Safelite appointment in the Bay Area while visiting there, but nothing was available there for two weeks. So, I set a Safelight appointment at their shop in Pasadena CA, near my house, for 2 weeks ahead, and drove back home (while my wife was concerned about the slowly growing crack across the windshield. See image).
After about a week Safelite/Pasadena CANCELED my appointment: "we cannot get the windshield parts". Good riddance.
At this point, I logged into Tesla app(*) on my cellphone and got an appointment (with Tesla service center in Burbank) for a home visit, in about 10 days. Now, two days before the scheduled visit I got a message from Tesla service, that the repair home-visit have been postponed for another week.
Well, let's see what happens next week...

(*) My insurance is Tesla's. Prior to requesting the repair, I filled up a glass damage report (on my cell) and opened a claim ticket. I am hoping to pay nothing, but my $100 deductible.

Attachments

• 2022_07_windshield.marked.jpeg
    2022_07_windshield.marked.jpeg
    327.3 KB · Views: 273
Oh shucks, once again:

Email from Tesla, two days before my (already postponed) appointment:
"Your mobile service appointment has been rescheduled for August 23, 2022. Your technician will arrive between 7:00 AM and 11:00 AM at [my address] CA United States ".

I am still dangerously driving with a cracked windshield. What kind of service is this ???????????

Sorry to read. Must be a regional thing (as is everything else with Tesla). Experiences with SCs, MS, any type of warranty work, body repair work, etc vary greatly, there is zero consistency.

Windshields are getting replaced within days of scheduling in the East-coast Tri-State area. Although more and more requests for any glass work get farmed out to Safelite (even my SC/MS) or cert. repair shops.

Must be a regional thing (as is everything else with Tesla). Experiences with SCs, MS, any type of warranty work, body repair work, etc vary greatly, there is zero consistency.

Supply vs. demand is definitely a big problem here in L.A. There are at least ~15 Teslas on my street alone (that I can see), and countless others in our neighborhood. With a large number of cars on the road here, limited number of service centers, and I can easily see backlogs for parts/repairs.

Supply vs. demand is definitely a big problem here in L.A. There are at least ~15 Teslas on my street alone (that I can see), and countless others in our neighborhood. With a large number of cars on the road here, limited number of service centers, and I can easily see backlogs for parts/repairs.
Its likely the same here in the Tri-State (3s/Ys on the roads here are more common now than Camcords, Civics, CRVs, Elantras, Foresters/Outbacks)

Glass was an issue a few months ago, now it seems its back to trunks, quarter panels, bumper skins, doors, fenders, head/taillights. SCs and certified repair centers all source from regional part center hubs and perhaps those are short on glass in your region.

Reactions: CreoUCLA
It has been 3 weeks since a pebble nicked my Tesla windshield, and still the replacement part is not to be found. I am still waiting.
So I have a suggestion to Tesla Service: Until you can replace my damaged windshield, you should loan glass protection device like in the picture below

1661124040442.png

Reactions: Perscitus
Mazal Tov, Tesla Mobile service came to my house this morning and replaced the cracked windshield (Tesla guys, not subcontractors). The two technician were punctual, nice, efficient, professional and pleasant. Within 2 hours they completed the operation, as can be viewed in the attached. Total charge is $1157.50 and I am expecting my Tesla insurance to pay for it.
Screenshot 2022-08-23 120139.jpg

Mazal Tov, Tesla Mobile service came to my house this morning and replaced the cracked windshield (Tesla guys, not subcontractors). The two technician were punctual, nice, efficient, professional and pleasant. Within 2 hours they completed the operation, as can be viewed in the attached. Total charge is $1157.50 and I am expecting my Tesla insurance to pay for it.View attachment 844208
Congrats. Is the install perfect? Any indication the windshield has been replaced or is it as if it’s new/from the factory?

Congrats. Is the install perfect? Any indication the windshield has been replaced or is it as if it’s new/from the factory?
The glass looks good and factory new. The installation process by the Tesla team was good, efficient and clean. It's been a few days now- all looks good. This weekend we are going on a long drive in the desert. We'll keep an eye on the windshield.
In case you are not aware, we hardly have any rain in Southern California. So I'll verify that there are no leaks, when I will wash the Tesla when we come back from the trip.

Reactions: likkuid
The glass looks good and factory new. The installation process by the Tesla team was good, efficient and clean. It's been a few days now- all looks good. This weekend we are going on a long drive in the desert. We'll keep an eye on the windshield.
In case you are not aware, we hardly have any rain in Southern California. So I'll verify that there are no leaks, when I will wash the Tesla when we come back from the trip.
Thank you, I'm replacing mine as it came crooked from Fremont so appreciate the comments.

All is well with the newly installed windshield!
We are back from a week is Vegas, with average daily temp of 110degF. ..and driving 270miles each way in the same furnace. Add to it a sudden rain fall on the last hour of the drive back to LA (Cajon Pass, I-15, tribble).
The windshield held its own. No problems.

All is well with the newly installed windshield!
We are back from a week is Vegas, with average daily temp of 110degF. ..and driving 270miles each way in the same furnace. Add to it a sudden rain fall on the last hour of the drive back to LA (Cajon Pass, I-15, tribble).
The windshield held its own. No problems.
did they recalibrate your front cameras?