Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield replacement in Seattle area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UnknownSoldier

Unknown Member
Apr 17, 2017
Earth
So I took my first Model 3 road trip, driving from Seattle to SF Bay Area. It was a nice drive with a lot of miles logged on Autopilot, except for the part where somewhere near Longview a gigantic rock hit my windshield, creating a nearly 1/4 inch bullseye strike in my glass. Unfortunately the strike also instantly created a crack which has since grown in length to at least 12 inches. I don't think at this point it's repairable, which means I have to drive back to Seattle from the Bay Area with a giant crack in my windshield, but it also means I'll be looking to replace my windshield when I get home.

Does anyone know if Seattle or Bellevue service centers still do windshield replacements? I contacted the nearest one here in California (Dublin) and they said Tesla doesn't do windshield replacements anymore, at least not in this area. If the Seattle or Bellevue service centers don't do windshields either, does anyone know a good glass shop which does Tesla windshield replacements? Thanks!

Reactions: Gregwhiteshark
I did one at the Sodo service center a few months ago. I did have to call ahead and they had to order the windshield and scheduled me 2-3 weeks out. It cost about $1000 I think. Then on the next trip I took, I immediately got a ding lol. Has not spread to an awful crack like the previous one did, but I still need to get it fixed. Anyone have an idea where to go to fix a ding? Should I take it to Tesla or can I just take it to a generic place like SafeLite or whatever. I only ask because Tesla windshields seem to be more expensive than the typical windshield.

I did one at the Sodo service center a few months ago. I did have to call ahead and they had to order the windshield and scheduled me 2-3 weeks out. It cost about $1000 I think. Then on the next trip I took, I immediately got a ding lol. Has not spread to an awful crack like the previous one did, but I still need to get it fixed. Anyone have an idea where to go to fix a ding? Should I take it to Tesla or can I just take it to a generic place like SafeLite or whatever. I only ask because Tesla windshields seem to be more expensive than the typical windshield.
I’ve had several dings and take it to the local glass shop. Nothing special, they put something on the star crack and it’s done. Gratis. The only problem is keeping track of which ones are old anD which ones are new.:(:(:(

• Informative
Reactions: MikeBur and PLUS EV
Back in early November, just after a month of ownership I got a rock strike on the way to Vancouver BC...just south of Bellingham. It went from a small chip to a 16" crack directly across my line of sight after about 8 minutes. I immediately set up an appointment with Safelite in Seattle through State Farm Insurance. I was told by Safelite that they would have to get the windshield from Tesla and it could be 3-6 weeks. I called Safelite back at the 6 week mark and they said they are still waiting for the windshield. It's now been 2 months with a cracked windshield obscuring my view and still no word from Safelite. Frustrated, I contacted Tesla Customer Support and was told that a Tesla dealership could get it done faster, and that only the dealership can recalibrate the camera. However, Tesla isn't a part of State Farm's glass replacement vendors so I'm now waiting to hear back from State Farm what it's going to cost. Also, I haven't called ahead to Tesla SODO about windshield availability so I don't actually know how long it will take. Grrrrr. I don't know why this has to be so complicated.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Back in early November, just after a month of ownership I got a rock strike on the way to Vancouver BC...just south of Bellingham. It went from a small chip to a 16" crack directly across my line of sight after about 8 minutes. I immediately set up an appointment with Safelite in Seattle through State Farm Insurance. I was told by Safelite that they would have to get the windshield from Tesla and it could be 3-6 weeks. I called Safelite back at the 6 week mark and they said they are still waiting for the windshield. It's now been 2 months with a cracked windshield obscuring my view and still no word from Safelite. Frustrated, I contacted Tesla Customer Support and was told that a Tesla dealership could get it done faster, and that only the dealership can recalibrate the camera. However, Tesla isn't a part of State Farm's glass replacement vendors so I'm now waiting to hear back from State Farm what it's going to cost. Also, I haven't called ahead to Tesla SODO about windshield availability so I don't actually know how long it will take. Grrrrr. I don't know why this has to be so complicated.
When I got mine replaced at Tesla SoDo, I had to wait 2-4 weeks for them to get the windshield in stock. At the time, I thought that was bad! Looks like I had it a lot better than you though. FWIW, I did pay out of pocket so I didn't have that complication to deal with.

Just an update: It took 9 weeks, but Safelite did finally get the Model 3 replacement windshield in. I got it replaced the next day. They did a great job. State Farm insurance would have paid for the total amount over my deductible at the Tesla dealership as well as at Safelite, so there no saving $ going to one or the other. If you are paying everything out of pocket, I think Safelight was about $100 cheaper. The front windshield camera did NOT require recalibration at the dealership after replacement. Apparently they are auto-calibrating.