Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A rock chipped the windshield on my Model X last week. I took the car to Safelite and was told that because the chip was so close to the edge of the windshield that they couldn't patch it and I would need a new windshield. Safelite said that they do not replace Tesla windshields because they cannot get Tesla glass in stock and suggested I contact Tesla.

I called the Dublin CA Service Center to schedule an appointment. I was told that Tesla service centers no longer do glass work for and I should try Safelite. Obviously I'm now frustrated.

Has anyone else had to replace their windshield recently? Who did the work? I'm in the SF Bay Area.

Just suffered a large rock chip right in front for the driver. I was directed to Safelite by my insurance and they responded and made an attempt to fix the flaw. Unfortunately it doesnt look much better than the chip, so I inquired about replacement. Safelite technician stated they wont do replacement X windshields because of the size and the fact that it takes 4 people to correctly position the new windshield.

I ultimately decided I cant live with the chip and have contacted Seattle Tesla, which ordered a windshield for me. They advised they will install once the window comes in, so now Im just waiting. I also reac/hed out to the local tesla approved body shop to see if they do the work, and was told they wont because of the sensors/cameras in the windshield. Apparently the sensors/cameras need to be calibrated after replacement and even the approved body shop cant do that. Funny Safelite didnt mention a problem with sensors, they just said its too labor intensive to do the work.

My concern now is what Tesla will do with my Blackview dash cam which is located right below the rear view mirror. There has been no mention of a problem from Tesla, but several folks on this blog have indicated Tesla wont replace/re-attach the camera since its an after market item. I spent alot to have the cameras installed, so now Im a little worried they will be sitting on my passenger seat when I pick up the car. Anyone have any experience with after market cameras getting re-installed?

• Helpful
Reactions: scsmx
Can't help you regarding the Blackview. But I had a chip in my windshield that I ignored. It then cracked across the whole window. My insurer recommended Safelite, but I wanted to have Tesla do it. My insurer contacted Safelite anyway and Safelite emailed me. Their email advised that, once the window was in, I had to then go to Tesla to have the cameras adjusted. I just went straight to Tesla. Tesla replaced my windshield and took care of the cameras in 1 stop, while I waited if I recall. It was about $1,600. That was around January, 2018.

I love my car, dont get me wrong but I think that this glass is weak? Is that possible? or its just so big its a rock magnet? I am a below average driver. 10% of the time on highway, normal city driving in Vancouver Canada.

I have had my MX for 17 months 26,000km. I have 2 repaired rock chips, 2 that can’t be repaired because they are close to the side and by the camera. The most recent chip that turned into a crack within minutes happened yesterday on the Lions Gate Bridge. Normal? Just unlucky? I have never had so many chips and in 25 years of owning cars I’ve never replaced a windshield.

Attachments

• Rock Chip - Crack.jpeg
    Rock Chip - Crack.jpeg
    752.3 KB · Views: 128
Just bad luck, it's not like Tesla makes the glass. I had the window cracked in a loaner BMW X5 while my BMW X6M was in the shop getting a cracked window replaced.

Had my Model X windshield replaced once. In my experience, they will not reinstall your dash cam. In fact, they pulled out wires that I had fished around the A pillar molding and I had run them again. They also disconnected the taps I'd added to pull switched power from the mirror. Since I had added a 2nd wire channel on the windshield, that was removed as well and the wires left hanging from the headliner. I've since rerun my wires down the original channel, so I'm not sure what they'd do in that circumstance.

I was just told by Safelite last week they don't touch Tesla's. Called about a dozen shops, all said Tesla won't sell them the glass. Called the SC, they'll do it and provided a quote. Still trying to see if I can get it cheaper but so far no dice; but it seems some SCs are still replacing glass.

I had my model X in the Service Center a few weeks ago when the windshield cracked in three places from running the heater to precondition the battery. They replaced it no problem, but wanted to charge me for it as if it had been broken by stones. Cost was about $1450. They goodwilled it after I inquired about it. This was Richmond VA.